User blocks database in read-only mode (1 Viewer)

Blancorn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:11
Hey, need your support in a very rare case:

An architecture of my database is the following:
Back-end database is located on company server (shared folder).
Front-end located on users desktops.

I have very strange situation: when one of the users open his front-end, then back-end database get read-only state.
This happens only with this single user. All the other users are able to work simultaneously with no issue. Only when this specific user is opening front-end, other users are blocked.

Do you have any idea where should I redirect my investigation?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:11
Do you get any message that the database is opened in exclusive mode?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:11
A couple of places to look:

1. In the specific user's FE file, under FILE >> OPTIONS >> CURRENT DATABASE, verify it is set to Shared rather than Exclusive.

2. From the specific user's PC, navigate to the folder where the BE is located. Select (but do not open) the BE file so that it is now highlighted. Right-click >> Properties >> Security >> Advanced. On the ensuing dialog box, look at Effective Permissions. If the user does not have MODIFY permissions on the BE AND on the folder itself, there is your problem.

The reason for #1 is obvious. The reason for #2 is that the user must be able to CREATE or DELETE the lock file (in case s/he is the first or last user to open the BE file. If the user has MODIFY for the BE but not for the folder, Access cannot create a lock file so in order for the user to proceed, it must open the BE in exclusive mode REGARDLESS of the setting found in #1.

A follow-up question: If this specific user tries to enter the DB while another user is already in it, can s/he do so? IF the access to the BE is allowed, do other users already in it get kicked out?

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:11
I think this question is in the wrong folder. It isn't a web setup. Sounds more like the new MS bug that has been plaguing companies for a couple of weeks now. Look at the links below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom