Using Access to work with JSON files (1 Viewer)

Bertux60

Local time
Today, 02:22
Hi
Being a Fitbit user, I get my full data in JSON format, several files for each day. I know how to read JSON files with Excel but it's one file at a time and for the volume of files Fitbit produces, it just doesn't work. Tried VBA in Excel but without sucess, so here I am asking for any help you gurus may provide to help me doing this task in Access.
Thanks in advance

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:22
Hi. Welcome to AWF! I use the VBA_JSON_Parser from GitHub.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 02:22
There is no built in support for JSON files in Access.
However you may want to look at my commercial app JSON Analyse & Transform for Access
An evaluation version is available so you can 'try before you buy'

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 20:22
Bertux,

JSON files are nothing more than a different formatted version of the document object model for web languages like javascript. it can be read with almost any program. You don't need a parser, although it would probably help. Github, like guy has said, has many good downloads. the only problem with github is that, for some reason, a lot of the downloads there that are provided for free, end up being bug-ridden and have to be edited to be compatible with the software/platform version you are running. but guy's program he is talking about is probably OK considering that it is probably not that complex. a simple reader/parser is not a complex thing to produce. It's just like reading data from a text file via I/O using VBA code.

are you simply trying to *analyze* JSON data within Access? because if you are, you don't even need a pre-defined tool. VBA will work fine. I think, when isladogs says there is no built-in support for JSON in access, he's talking about there being nothing available through the interface in terms of buttons to click to import, export, analyze those files. which of course is true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom