Question Using Bar Codes and Access for Student ID and Attendance (1 Viewer)

KMaCK8848

Local time
Yesterday, 20:08
I am NOT a programer by any stretch. I'm a rank novice, very pedestrian user of MS Office, and need to learn some things for work. I run an after-school youth program for high school students. My issue is an accurate way to track attendance of students. We have MS ACCESS 2010 on our computers at work.

On any given day we may see between 30 to 50 students, so this is a small operation - - and the reason I'm adverse to buying fancy "custom" software and hardware "systems". Because students come and go and vary over time, we may see 100 kids in a given week, but in the past 2 years of operation, we have had well over 250 students come through our program, with some returning at various times.

What I would like is to be able to
1) Make a simple ID card with student photos and a unique ID # that can be ...
2) Scanned by a simple barcode system.
2b) Actually two barcode swipes ... one swipe at the front door / main entrance, and a 2nd swipe by a hand held bar code in the various four classrooms to be sure the student is not only in the building, but also went to the correct class.
3) That the input of that information dumps into our ACCESS database so we can track student attendance, and ...
3b) provide reports out to school counselors / principals of the numerous highs schools that our students come from, to let them know which of their kids are actively attending our program.

My questions are ...
A. Can this be done with ACCESS?
B. Would it be better to do this with EXCEL?
C. If ACCESS can handle it, which types of bar code devices would be the best choice for us to purchase? (We would need a total of five barcode scanners. One at the front desk, and one in each of our four classrooms.)

The system would need to be expandable seeing that this could easily be doubled in terms of classrooms and students within the next year or so. We are currently just 2 years old.

I do not know computer programer "talk", so you got to keep it simple for me.

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Yesterday, 23:08
Already replied in the Reports group.

sjd

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:08
a) Yes.
b) No. Less expandable for sure.
c) Depends on your computers. (We went with a cheap $30 scanner since we didn't need wireless).

Simply put, all you need to do barcode scanning is a free Code 3 of 9 (aka, code39) font. When you print onto ID Cards you would do something like *110222025255* (the *'s tell your scanner to start/end).

The scanner simply reads that code and then inputs it (as if it were typed) into the form.

At least that is how it works here for us.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 05:08
I do not know computer programer "talk", so you got to keep it simple for me.

OK. DO not post the same question in 4 fora! Capisce?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom