Using Database Without Installing MS Access (1 Viewer)

Jonny

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:36
I've built a project in MS Access, however client don't have it installed on its PC.
Is there a way to move it to web application, so client will simply log-in to work with it (w/o any installations on his end)?

Jonny

Registered User.
Local time
I can not force my client to install anything.
Are there other solutions?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:36
Not that I know, though I am curious however as to why why you would build an app in software that requires 'something' to run for clients who do not want to install anything?
I used to use a browser in my last place of work that connected to an access DB, however it was on their server, so I expect the price consideration is too much for this situation, unless you are going to sell the app to multiple clients, as they did?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 09:36
Are there other solutions?

Given the parameters thus far, yes: Rebuild your database from scratch so that it is browser based.

Jonny

Registered User.
Local time
Understand, thanks.
Are there tools to export table relationships from MS Access?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Understand, thanks.

I'm not sure, I believe Andrew Crouch built something called 'Swift' but I don't know if it's still available .....

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You can export relationships to various file formats using the built in database documenter.
Or you can create a relationships report and save as a PDF
Or you can export the MSysRelationships table to e.g. Excel.

If you want to do the last of those, the final part of my article may help Relationships1 - Mendip Data Systems

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:36
First, designing an app for a client without finding out ahead of time what can or can't be installed is probably an error on your part. I could try to pull some punches here, but by going in blindly, you screwed the pooch.

Second, there is an old rule that says if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything needs to look like a nail. If all you have is an Access database, you need something that will run Access databases. MS Access Runtime does that. MS Access does that. Very little else will do that. So if your client doesn't want Access on his system, your product is something he cannot use. However, I would go back and look at any contract you might have signed to see if you have any wiggle room regarding Access Runtime, because CLEARLY for your client to run your app, he would have had to install something on his system unless he directly asked for a web-based app in the first place.

Third, converting an Access app to a web app is possible but essentially you need some other DB as the back end because (so far as I recall) the Access DB engines JET or ACE (depending on the version of Access) don't play nicely with web services. At least I have not heard of a good situation for that. So you COULD convert the table & relationship structures to something else like SQL Server or SQL Lite or MySQL or ORACLE or something else and then have a web front-end that can correctly access the DB content for you. But you would be redeveloping from scratch and AGAIN would have the issue of requiring your client to install the DB engine in question. And even if you found a way to make the web interface work with JET or ACE, you would need to install either of those DB engines on your client's machines.

Fourth, you could, if you had the resources, build this app on your own system as a web app and then host it for your client - but app hosting is not a trivial operation and involves such things as availability clauses, plus the requirement for backups, uninterruptible power supplies, and a service desk function.

I'm not trying to be negative here, but I AM trying to be realistic. You have painted yourself into a corner. I think your best shot is to convince your client that Access Runtime is necessary for his app to work and his reluctance to install it forces you into a MUCH more expensive solution. Then ask him if he is willing to pay extra for the more complex solution that avoids your simpler solution. So think of this post as strategy advice.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
there is the option of citrix or terminal server - at a cost. You put your app there (FE & BE) and your client only needs to use remote desktop to connect to it. Remote desktop is part of the windows OS so nothing for the client to install. You may have to modify your app if it is required to use local resources such as printers or email.

May not be relevant in your situation, but other benefits of this option is that machines using a different OS which have remote desktop functionality (Linux/iOS to name two) can also connect and use the app.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:36
I can not force my client to install anything.
If you build a dot net app, the client must install the dot net framework??? If you build a web app, the client must install a compatible web browser??? If you want to run a windows app on a Mac, you have to install Windows???? I'm not sure what you were thinking.
SSMS, which you can download for free, converts Jet/ACE databases to SQL Server but that doesn't help with converting your application. For that, you need a complete rewrite if your client is not is not willing to install the free MS Access runtime engine to run your app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom