Solved VBA Password protected (1 Viewer)

murray83

Games Collector
Local time
Today, 09:05
im guessing this will be a big fat no, as i have searched online and most seem to be paid solutions, but here i am asking anyway

have an oldish DB in use at work, needs some of the vba chnaging but the guy who made it has.

A, Long Gone dont work here no more

and

B, he password protetced it for what ever reason

question is then, how the hell would i go about breaking said password or can it even be done

DB is an accdb and its on Access 2010

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I'm only going to give you a partial answer ... hopefully for obvious reasons.

1. If you are referring to the VBE password, then it can be bypassed - I'll leave you to google how its done.

2. If it was an old MDB file, then the encryption is very weak and there are utilities you can download to get the password very easily.

3. However, as its an ACCDB file, the encryption is 128-bit and VERY difficult to hack. In fact the only way is using brute force i.e. try every combination until something works, Assuming its a strong password that could take days...

As a test, I did purchase a utility to hack the password on one of my own apps. As I knew the password, I gave the utility some help to narrow the search range tested. I started it and left it running on a spare PC. After 36 hours, I terminated the process.
In that case, the fact that it failed made me happy

4. If its a split file and you want the BE password, the solution is simple. If so, think about how to do it....

murray83

Games Collector
Local time
well point 3 in your list doesnt fill me with much hope but yes I'm after the VBA ( is that what you meant when put VBE )

goes off to have a good ol google search, brb....

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
If you can open the ACCDB app but are unable to view the code because its password protected (point 1), then there is a free solution.
However, as you can't prove ownership of the application, I'm not able to tell you what the solution is.

Point 3 was referring to the password used to protect and encrypt an entire application. That should give you hope for your own password protected apps...but deter you from trying to hack someone else's app. In other words, exactly how it should be!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:05
Hi. As @isladogs said, there are two areas you can protect with a password. Your topic title seems to imply you're ACCDB's VBA code is password-protected rather than the entire ACCDB file requires a password to open. Is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom