VBA Recordset based on query with Tempvars (1 Viewer)

BiigJiim

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:07
Hi,

I have a bit of vba which assigns a tempvar and then opens a recordset based on a SELECT query "qry_InsertLetter_C1" which is using that tempvar in the WHERE clause. The query uses linked tables to a SQL Azure database.

Code:
TempVars.Add "myRPID", 35
Set rsIn = db.OpenRecordset("qry_InsertLetter_C1", dbOpenSnapshot, dbSeeChanges)

If I run this, I get error 3146 ODBC Call Failed. Very odd as if I manually open the query after setting the tempvar, it opens fine and displays the correct row of data.

However, if I replace the tempvar in the query with a parameter, and then assign the value of the parameter to the tempvar in vba, it works:

Code:
Set qdf = db.QueryDefs("qry_InsertLetter_C1")
qdf.Parameters("MyRPID").Value = [TempVars]![myRPID]
Set rsIn = qdf.OpenRecordset(dbOpenSnapshot, dbSeeChanges)

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what is wrong with the first solution? I use variants of this code in lots of places in my application, so it would save me making lots of changes,

Thanks for reading and for any help!
Jim

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I *think* you have fallen into the issue with parameter queries and recordsets?
I get parameters expected 1 on this code

Code:
Sub TestQueryTempVar()
Dim rst As DAO.Recordset, db As Database
TempVars("MonthNum") = 6
Set db = CurrentDb()
Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("Query1")
Do While Not rst.EOF
    Debug.Print rst.Fields(0)
Loop

Set rst = Nothing
Set db = Nothing

End Sub

theDBGuy has a link on here to Eval the parameters.
Have a search

Edit: This is the link, which pretty much does the same thing you tried later, but more generic.

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
When using DAO recordsets the query is not passed through Access' 'expression service', and all parameters must be resolved by you in VBA.

Do a search for 'Leigh's generic recordset' for a wrapper function to CurrentDb.OpenRecordset that will handle all this for you.

Or, don't use parameters in your stored queries; just build the literal SQL in VBA and pass to the OpenRecordset method.

BiigJiim

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your replies. Does that mean that basically you cannot open a recordset in vba with a query that references a tempvar? (I am sure I have done this lots of times in the past, but maybe I am mistaken.)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:07
Thanks for your replies. Does that mean that basically you cannot open a recordset in vba with a query that references a tempvar? (I am sure I have done this lots of times in the past, but maybe I am mistaken.)
Hi. Pardon me for jumping in, but you absolutely can open a recordset in vba with a query that references a TempVar. Have you tried using the link @Gasman provided in Post #2?

All you have to do is replace this line:
Code:
Set rsIn = db.OpenRecordset("qry_InsertLetter_C1", dbOpenSnapshot, dbSeeChanges)
with this one:
Code:
Set rsIn = fDAOGenericRst("qry_InsertLetter_C1", dbOpenSnapshot, dbSeeChanges)
Hope that helps...

cheekybuddha

AWF VIP
Local time
@dbg, who hosts your site on accessmvp.com?

Try and get them to get a SSL cert for the site - I always get blocked initially by HTTPSEverywhere, and perhaps others are not risking going to the site if they receive such a warning.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:07
@dbg, who hosts your site on accessmvp.com?

Try and get them to get a SSL cert for the site - I always get blocked initially by HTTPSEverywhere, and perhaps others are not risking going to the site if they receive such a warning.
Hi David. That's a good idea. I'll ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom