wERE CAN I FIND HELP TO CREATE HELP HINT ON BUTTON ect (1 Viewer)

MIkeD666

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:25
Hi all am trying to find out how to add help hint or note to a project. Does ant know were i could find some help on how to do it

Dreamweaver

Local time
Today, 06:25
Use the controltip you can add one into the property sheet or format one in code

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:25
MickJav mentioned ToolTip as a possible "quick and dirty" solution.

Uncle Gizmo has a more elaborate solution.

What I did was "in the middle" between those two extremes. My method was very tedious but not difficult at all. It was also very fast.

Step 1 was that EVERY FORM that could be used to enter, edit, or otherwise interact with data, through bound or unbound controls, had a big unbound label on it labeled "Help & Hints." This box, because it was a label, could not itself gain focus.

Step 2 was that every control that could gain focus, whether it was a text box, combo box, list box, check box, or radio-button group, had a .GotFocus routine that loaded help text to the Help & Hints box's .Caption property. The same control's .LostFocus erased it. I was doing other things including setting and clearing highlighting on those controls anyway (to emphasize the location of the focus), so it was a convenient place to make the help text come in or go away.

MIkeD666

Registered User.
Local time
MickJav mentioned ToolTip as a possible "quick and dirty" solution.

Uncle Gizmo has a more elaborate solution.

What I did was "in the middle" between those two extremes. My method was very tedious but not difficult at all. It was also very fast.

Step 1 was that EVERY FORM that could be used to enter, edit, or otherwise interact with data, through bound or unbound controls, had a big unbound label on it labeled "Help & Hints." This box, because it was a label, could not itself gain focus.

Step 2 was that every control that could gain focus, whether it was a text box, combo box, list box, check box, or radio-button group, had a .GotFocus routine that loaded help text to the Help & Hints box's .Caption property. The same control's .LostFocus erased it. I was doing other things including setting and clearing highlighting on those controls anyway (to emphasize the location of the focus), so it was a convenient place to make the help text come in or go away.
thanks for your replay, i have now found what i was looking for, very near to your idea

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 06:25
I don't like control tips as there is a delay before the text appears and it fails if there is another control 'ln top'
For future reference, you can also add messages to the status bar. However status bar text is small and easy to miss.

I have a similar help system to the Doc, but using a MouseMove event instead of GotFocus.
As the user moves over the control the help text appears on an unbound textbox or unassociated label.
It disappears automatically when the user moves away.

MIkeD666

Registered User.
Local time
I don't like control tips as there is a delay before the text appears and it fails if there is another control 'ln top'
For future reference, you can also add messages to the status bar. However status bar text is small and easy to miss.

I have a similar help system to the Doc, but using a MouseMove event instead of GotFocus.
As the user moves over the control the help text appears on an unbound textbox or unassociated label.
It disappears automatically when the user moves away.
thanks for the idea, you have given me food for thought

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom