what are you reading? (1 Viewer)

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 10:04
the recent thread by oumahexi has me inspired to ask: "What are you reading now?"

me? Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid. (1979) By Douglas R. Hofstadter. Vintage Books Edition.

what's on your nightstand/barstool? just post your current book. when you start your next book, come back and post the new one.

we will judge your mood accordingly. :) :D :eek:

PaulJR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:04
Book I'm just finishing is called "The Family Way" by Tony Parsons, a fantastic book that really brings things home! Want to read another Nick Hornby book next, after reading "A Long Way Down", recommendations anyone?

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 19:04
Green River, Running Red by Anne Rule. True crime story about America's Deadliest Serial Murderer. Its the third book from the same author, I really enjoyed her writings.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
I'm reading The Mirror In The Well by Micheline Aharonian Marcom, which is out at some point this month.

A woman's sexual awakening is a tragedy when the woman is married to someone other than the man who awakens her. But until then, her marriage, now doomed, was a sleepwalker's tragedy. This novel will shock and offend some readers. Unapologetically explicit in its language, extreme in some of the acts it catalogues, it makes no pretense of submission to middle-class decency, let alone to expectations of happy endings. All three people in this love triangle are flawed, damaged, human. Things fall apart, and the resolution is unclear. Why does she do it? Why should we read it? The answer is one word: Ecstasy.

The bit about "this novel will shock and offend some readers" sounded like a promise, so I had to read it. So far, it's very graphic sexually, and its prose style is reminiscent of a Brazilian writer called Clarice Lispector. But, beyond the harsh sex and acts, I think I can see some deeper metaphor and will keep reading to confirm.

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 22:04
Really - That's pretty cool. Are the booxs listed recent? Does she still write?

redneckgeek

Local time
Really - That's pretty cool. Are the booxs listed recent? Does she still write?

2004-2006. The next one in the series is at the publisher now. It should be available late Oct.

She has a small but rabid fanbase. The books are christian/romance/mystery. I've helped with proof-reading, but never actually read one from beginning to end:eek:

redneckgeek

Local time
I read Crace's first book, Continent, earlier this year. It was quite good, although lacked that ultimate cohesion that would have made it great.

I'd never read any of his works before - but some of the stories in this book are good enough for me to think about reading one of his novels.

Local time
Yesterday, 21:04
Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus by Andre LaMothe. Helps me get to sleep, especially the chapters on math.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
My lovely joiner man bought me a book when he found out I was looking! Hammer of the Gods - the Led Zepplin story! So far so good. But eek, those boys were bad :D

maxmangion

AWF VIP
Local time
i'm currently reading "Strangers Among The Dead" by George Bellairs which i borrowed from the library. It's rather an old book as it was published in 1966.

KenHigg

Local time
? - I think it was the rabid fanbase which I referred to as small ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom