What exactly is Linked Table Manager (1 Viewer)

SachAccess

Local time
Today, 18:23
Hi,
This might look like a silly question. What exactly is Linked Table Manager.
From the look and name of it, I understand that external data is linked through this feature.
This data can be access files, excel files or SharePoint.
However I am not exactly aware about its working. I have linked few files in one existing MS Access DB.
At the time of ReLink, tool asks us to refresh tables etc. I follow that procedure mechanically but do not know its exact impact.
Can anyone please help me understand this. Wil be grateful. Thanks.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 05:53
Sometimes people have two different accdb back ends, for example. One for development and one for production. No sane developer works with production data while making changes to the front end. (Argue otherwise, though, if you are one of those brave souls who does it all with production data, :) ).

To make switching back and forth more straightforward, the LTM is a great tool.

Sometimes changes in a back end table might need to be reflected in the linked table in the FE. That's another use case for the LTM.

SachAccess

Local time
Hi @GPGeorge thanks a lot for the help. Have a nice day ahead. :)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:53
Let me be a little more emphatic than George. ALL programmers who are developing for others, need to have a test copy of the BE and therefore, need to relink from prod to test and back again whenever they make changes to a production application. Using the production DB when making changes to the FE is like walking a tightrope without a net. You better make damned sure you know what you are doing.

Even if you are developing for yourself, you at least need to backup BEFORE you make any design changes so you have a fall back position.

Up until very recently, the Linked tables manager was double-dummy (bridge term) hopeless. So, 20 years ago, I wrote my own because a lot of my FE's have links to multiple BE's. Over time as I develop more applications, the new apps need to be able to see data in other databases. If I don't need to enforce RI, I leave the data split. If I need to enforce RI, I combine the tables into a BE that is shared by multiple applications. The original LTM could only swap links for one table at a time and the dialog was so tiny that it was easy to make a mistake and end up with 10 tables linked to prod but one left linked to test.

SachAccess

Local time
Hi @Pat Hartman thanks a lot for such a detailed answer. Have a nice day ahead. :)

Am off the topic here, apology - Have read several posts on the forum in last couple of days.
The number of years of experience experts here have is overwhelming for me.
Few of them have more experience than my age!
Thanks to the forum and you experts that I get to interact and learn from you.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:53
You're welcome:)
I forgot to mention that I always copy the current production db for final testing so I'm working with current data.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:53
This data can be access files, excel files or SharePoint.
it can also be text, xml, html, outlook and any rdbms that uses ODBC (which is most of them). Plus data services as read only link

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:53
I'll add my 2 cents to the tip jar.

LTM exists because Access is inherently is based on two parts The two parts are the data tables and everything else you build (such as queries, forms, reports, macros, and modules). When you build a single-container (a.k.a. monolithic) DB, by default all tables are in the single container file as well as all of the interfacing stuff (queries, forms, reports... you get the idea). BUT Access allows you to SPLIT that monolithic file into two parts. The data goes into a "back end" file and the other items go in the "front end" file. When you do that you have to tell the front end where the back end went because that is ALSO where your data went. During the split, LTM automatically creates connection pointers for every table definition in the FE file to link to the appropriate table definitions in the BE file. A BE file created this way is still a file in "Access native data" format. With me so far?

Although there are technical penalties involved, you can split apart the tables into multiple BE files, which you can do for reasons of needing the room (because of Access addressing limits), special security requirements, and perhaps a couple of other far less common reasons. The biggest technical penalties have to do with Relational Integrity, because Access cannot impose RI between two tables in different files. The internal tables that would define that RI have no way to specify in which file the tables exist, so they can ONLY be local. LTM will help you connect to the multiple tables in those multiple files. Split that way, the multiple BE files are still in Access native data format.

Here is where Access gets more powerful. You can point to other types of tables that aren't necessarily Access native data format. For instance, if you have a proper driver for it, you can talk to SQL Server or MySQL or SQL Lite, all using ODBC. You can talk to non-Microsoft database engines too, such as ORACLE, Sybase, IBM DB2, and anything else compatible with ODBC. LTM understands ODBC connections and thus allows you to have a mixed-mode installation, with a native Access format FE file and whatever is on the other side of the ODBC for that foreign DB.

I once worked briefly, more as a trouble-shooter than a full-blown DBA, on a U.S. Navy medical personnel database with an Access FE and an ORACLE BE. It handled the Navy's medical scholarship program where students would agree to work as a Navy doctor for 10 years in return for full tuition. If the U.S. Navy thought it was OK to use an Access FE and another BE, I guess it was OK for us, too. And LTM is how you set up that linkage.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
You're welcome:)
I forgot to mention that I always copy the current production db for final testing so I'm working with current data.
That's what I do. I work with a copy and if i import data, I use the production worksheets.

SachAccess

Local time
Thanks for the additional information. Have a nice day ahead. :)
it can also be text, xml, html, outlook and any rdbms that uses ODBC (which is most of them). Plus data services as read only link

SachAccess

Local time
I'll add my 2 cents to the tip jar.

LTM exists because Access is inherently is based on two parts The two parts are the data tables and everything else you build (such as queries, forms, reports, macros, and modules). When you build a single-container (a.k.a. monolithic) DB, by default all tables are in the single container file as well as all of the interfacing stuff (queries, forms, reports... you get the idea). BUT Access allows you to SPLIT that monolithic file into two parts. The data goes into a "back end" file and the other items go in the "front end" file. When you do that you have to tell the front end where the back end went because that is ALSO where your data went. During the split, LTM automatically creates connection pointers for every table definition in the FE file to link to the appropriate table definitions in the BE file. A BE file created this way is still a file in "Access native data" format. With me so far?

Although there are technical penalties involved, you can split apart the tables into multiple BE files, which you can do for reasons of needing the room (because of Access addressing limits), special security requirements, and perhaps a couple of other far less common reasons. The biggest technical penalties have to do with Relational Integrity, because Access cannot impose RI between two tables in different files. The internal tables that would define that RI have no way to specify in which file the tables exist, so they can ONLY be local. LTM will help you connect to the multiple tables in those multiple files. Split that way, the multiple BE files are still in Access native data format.

Here is where Access gets more powerful. You can point to other types of tables that aren't necessarily Access native data format. For instance, if you have a proper driver for it, you can talk to SQL Server or MySQL or SQL Lite, all using ODBC. You can talk to non-Microsoft database engines too, such as ORACLE, Sybase, IBM DB2, and anything else compatible with ODBC. LTM understands ODBC connections and thus allows you to have a mixed-mode installation, with a native Access format FE file and whatever is on the other side of the ODBC for that foreign DB.

I once worked briefly, more as a trouble-shooter than a full-blown DBA, on a U.S. Navy medical personnel database with an Access FE and an ORACLE BE. It handled the Navy's medical scholarship program where students would agree to work as a Navy doctor for 10 years in return for full tuition. If the U.S. Navy thought it was OK to use an Access FE and another BE, I guess it was OK for us, too. And LTM is how you set up that linkage.
Hi @The_Doc_Man thanks a lot for such a detailed post. I need to re-read again and again to grasp it. Must say, you have explained it beautifully, just like a teacher would do! Have a nice day ahead. :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You are welcome, @SachAccess, but then you know the old saying: You can take the teacher out of the classroom but you can't take the classroom out of the teacher.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Just a thought. You don't really want to use the LTM anyway. It's easy to create links to remote tables in code, and it's easier for the developer that the LTM.

If you want to connect your database to a different back end (eg the live back end, the development back end, or even where you have multiple back ends for different operating companies), then you need code to do this process. In a live environment you probably don't want users messing with the navigation pane, and they may only have run time access, so you have to give them a way to do this in code.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Dave
Have you seen the new & much improved LTM which is in Access 2021/365...

1660481357912.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom