What is the benefit of hiding any table (1 Viewer)

SachAccess

Local time
Tomorrow, 01:07
Hi,
I am working on MS Access Database.
Have created one table for own reference.
This is irrelevant for the users.
I have hidden it. However I can simply un-hide too at a single click.
Just wanted to know, if it can be un-hidden so easily then what is the purpose of hiding it.
Coming from Excel VBA background, in Excel we have hidden and very hidden worksheet.
In Excel, very hidden can be un-hide unless you know the code password.
I was thinking from that point of view.
Can anyone please help me in this.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 14:37
This is irrelevant for the users.

All tables should be irrelevant to the users. They should interact with data via forms and reports.

When I build an Access database I don't right click and hide a table, I simply disable the entire Object Viewer and only allow users to open forms and reports. But like everything in life (doors, gates, etc) a properly motivated person can get around that.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 20:37
Hiding tables (or any other object) in the nav pane provides some security against novice users. It isn't intended to be highly secure

You can add extra security by deep hiding tables by a different method.
Deep hidden tables cannot be made visible in the navigation pane. See attached example
However advanced users can still unhide these using code (as is the case in Excel)

As a first step, you should hide the navigation pane so that users only work with forms

Attachments

• DeepHideTablesExample.zip
    28.5 KB · Views: 106

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:37
I have an application I sell to the public. I have some hidden tables in the BE that are used to manage the annual subscription. But I don't otherwise lock the BE because the data belongs to the client and if they choose to not renew, I don't want to prevent them from accessing what they entered. Also, the app can be installed with a SQL Server BE so the client always has access to the data in that case but I still use an Access BE to hold the hidden tables. If they open the BE, they just don't see any tables.

SachAccess

Local time
Tomorrow, 01:07
I have an application I sell to the public. I have some hidden tables in the BE that are used to manage the annual subscription. But I don't otherwise lock the BE because the data belongs to the client and if they choose to not renew, I don't want to prevent them from accessing what they entered. Also, the app can be installed with a SQL Server BE so the client always has access to the data in that case but I still use an Access BE to hold the hidden tables. If they open the BE, they just don't see any tables.
Thanks for the help @Pat Hartman . Have a happy Friday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom