What is the universe expanding into? (1 Viewer)

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:28
The universe is a odd and huge place which we are a part of. I cannot comprehend the size or the complexity of the universe. It appears that scientists make a lot of assumptions about the universe, probably becauseit is so vast and light from the even the nearest star (not counting the sun) takes four years to reach us. As far as we know the current universe is collapsing down on us, but we haven't seen it happening yet.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:28
You read it here first...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Do you think that perhaps the universe is tiny, but it just seems big to us because we are microscopic?

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 12:28
What I think...is that someone is really bored. Also, god did it, so stop asking. This is all just a dinner rehearsal for the grand after-party so nothing really matters - as long as you paid your tithe to the church...which always seemed to need a new roof.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:28
Do you think that perhaps the universe is tiny, but it just seems big to us because we are microscopic?
The Universe is minuscule compared to the infinite void.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:28
It appears that scientists make a lot of assumptions about the universe, probably becauseit is so vast and light from the even the nearest star (not counting the sun) takes four years to reach us. As far as we know the current universe is collapsing down on us, but we haven't seen it happening yet.

Scientist have far more evidence that you assume. There are many observable things about the Universe which match the Big Bang. Things like the ratio of Hydrogen to Helium and Lithium, the ratio of protons to neutrons etc.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Scientist have far more evidence that you assume. There are many observable things about the Universe which match the Big Bang. Things like the ratio of Hydrogen to Helium and Lithium, the ratio of protons to neutrons etc.
Is that just a simulation though?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Not quite what I meant. Have you heard the simulation argument, that we are all in a simulation?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Many would argue that it is the most probable reality, including smarty pants like Elon Musk.

It means that if we are in a simulation, the measured distance would be zero. Instead, we are just binary code and our silicon Gods our captors.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Nice link. I often use that site as I am interested in futurism.

There are some assumptions in the physicists perspectives and it reminds me of some philosophers arguments. When you shut your eyes does the world disappear. When you open your eyes, is it only there then? What if your 360 vision is just like wearing a VR headset. Very little RAM required in the scheme of things. You don't need to model the electrons of a star 10 trillion miles away. You just need a blanket of pixels to cover your 360 field.

What if the physicists themselves are not real, but just part of the simulation, put there to convince you that you are not in one? Helps convince the binary you that you are not in a simulation.

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:28
So what will happen to the simulation if we all start to believe it and do stuff we aren't made to do ?
What you are writing is it part of the simulation or not ?
If I tell you that I can jump at least 5cm in the air you will assume I speak the truth since you have a similar experience.
But what if I tell that but I don't have legs. You will not know what the real truth is.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
None of us know what the real truth is. Our eyes constantly deceive us.

1582115231235.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom