What netbook should I buy. (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 11:58
I'm looking to buy a netbook. Any ideas what's what out there? There seems to be dozens.

I want to use it for internet, music, must have good battery life, reasonable price.

The Samsung 10.1 looks good.

Col

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 06:58
I'm looking to buy a netbook. Any ideas what's what out there? There seems to be dozens.

I want to use it for internet, music, must have good battery life, reasonable price.

The Samsung 10.1 looks good.

Col

I'm looking as well... :)

I'll check the Samsung...

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I'm looking as well... :)

I'll check the Samsung...

Find something it can do that your IPad can't? :p

There are many netbooks and all of them will do what you ask. I noticed you mentioned music. Two things you must realize is that most netbooks will not have a dvd burner build in, so you must purchase one with usb ports and use an external burner if you plan on burning the music. The second thing is that you'll want one with a larger hard drive. Many netbooks have small or no hard drives at all, relying on internal memory to run the basic applications.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 03:58
I think you should skip the netbooks and just get an iPad unless it is purely for work. You do not need to pile on any memory or bigger drives and other non essentials. Streaming music video games and books online make discs obsolete for entertainment, just about everything is available online.
Get an iPad and an iPhone and you can leave all sorts of crap behind at the office.

Find something it can do that your IPad can't? :p

There are many netbooks and all of them will do what you ask. I noticed you mentioned music. Two things you must realize is that most netbooks will not have a dvd burner build in, so you must purchase one with usb ports and use an external burner if you plan on burning the music. The second thing is that you'll want one with a larger hard drive. Many netbooks have small or no hard drives at all, relying on internal memory to run the basic applications.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
My netbook cost about 1/4 of an iPad (Acer) and has a battery life of 6 to 8 hours depending on what you are doing. It has 1Gb RAM, 160GB hard drive, webcam, built-in microphone, and I am running Windows 7 on it.

KenHigg

Local time
$125 for a netbook.. Not bad.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
That's what I thought...:rolleyes:

Yeah, so... Where are you finding an iPad for $500? There are none to be found in my searches on the web and most range closer to $1000. Mine still is a lot less than a piece of junk which lets you do one thing at a time and not much at that. And my netbook will do everything a normal desktop computer can while it is with me AND can even watch videos, listen to music, and do much, much more all while doing other things.

The iPad is way over priced for what you get.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Hmmmmmmm.....

Attachments

• iPad.jpg
    iPad.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 553

KenHigg

Local time
Only if you're dumb enough to compare it to netbook. It's ok, all you had to say is you can't afford a iPad. Speaking of prices, where did you find a new Acer for $189?

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Only if you're dumb enough to campare it to netbook. It's ok, all you had to say is you can't afford a iPad.
Not that I couldn't afford one, but that I have better things to do with my money than to spend it on something too limited for my taste. If you like it and it works for you, that's great. I just want more from my money.
Speaking of prices, where did you find a new Acer for $189?

Got it at NewEgg.com in November and at the time it included free shipping.

KenHigg

Local time
Not that I couldn't afford one, but that I have better things to do with my money than to spend it on something too limited for my taste. If you like it and it works for you, that's great. I just want more from my money.

Got it at NewEgg.com in November and at the time it included free shipping.

That's ok, we all know of your financial situation ;)

Looking at the newegg.com all I see is around $300 range...:confused:

Vassago

Local time
Ken, check out Slickdeals.net. You'll find the best netbook deals posted there on either the mainpage or the forums under the Hot Deals section.

It's good for more than just netbooks too.

KenHigg

Local time
Will do... I'm looking for someone I can trust to tell me how long their batteries actually last. ;)

Vassago

Local time
Just like with any hardware, it depends on usage (just reading, listening to music, internet, movies, etc...) as every task will require different battery levels, just like with an Ipad, and if you actually hibernate it while not in use like you should. I've found I can make my battery last all day with proper usage. But I use my phone for basic internet, reading, music, email, even document writing in office, etc because it's much easier to carry around than a laptop or Ipad and has Windows Mobile (which still allows more than one app to run at a time, :D )

KenHigg

Local time
From what I read maybe a SSD and 6 cell battery for max life... ?

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Apples claim of UP TO 10 hours on a charge is only a little generous, unless I am not taxing on its reserves enough.

YES there is a lot of differences when compared to a netbook, but I feel that comparing a MS based machine to a Mac is like comparing a boat to a car. I would not do actual work on a Mac and definately do not use my PC for its entertainment value. Just because one machine 'can' do a certain task does not mean it is best at doing it.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 11:58
My netbook cost about 1/4 of an iPad (Acer) and has a battery life of 6 to 8 hours depending on what you are doing. It has 1Gb RAM, 160GB hard drive, webcam, built-in microphone, and I am running Windows 7 on it.

Thanks Bob, a reasonable netbook in the UK costs around £500 (? $600 or $700) that includes the separate CD, a wi-fi jobbie for the house, virus software and a mouse.

A netbook of substance on it's own costs about £300 ($400) ish.

An ipad sells now for around £500.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom