Which database is recommended to use? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cright99

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 12:16
Our business is using Access 2007 for its database. It users the workgroup way (Not sure what its called) to connect multiusers to the database.

Our database is a immigration company that records information on customers names, address's, what visa/permit they are on, invoicing and recept information etc. We have now about 2500 users stored on the database. The size of the database always is about 2000Mb. (Which is the max size of it bloating)

What database would you people recommend? Is this amount of people we have too much for access to handle? How much users is recommended for access?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 18:16
i'm no expert, but I think you should migrate elsewhere that has the capacity to handle that. i don't know much outside of microsoft office, but I do a little bit with MYSQL. But I would guess your next step would be SQL server, with using Access as a front end interface.

bulrush

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:16
- 2000mb (2gb) is not that big for a database.

- Native Access can handle about 1 million records but it does slow down a bit.

- Why is your MDB file so big if there is only 2500 users? Are you storing any images with each record? Try opening the MDB file, going to Tools, Database Utilities, then Compact and Repair. I think you have a lot of "dead space" from deleted records in there.

This should shrink your MDB file.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
i'm still contemplating why you insist on posting stuff in threads that are obviously closed

i seem to be a target for your posts too. hmmmmm....

JamesMcS

Keyboard-Chair Interface
Local time
Today, 23:16
1. How do you tell if a post is closed?

2. 2GB is the maximum file size limit for Acces databases.

3. Access can handle unlimited records up until point 2. (I have a database with 12 million records in one table, all good).

4. I get around the 2GB limit problem by having multiple databases, then a kind of central command that has all the tables you need linked into it. Problem solved. But if you insist on upscaling, SQL server is the way to go, and it's a doddle to migrate from Access.

JamesMcS

Keyboard-Chair Interface
Local time
Doesn't say closed anywhere though does it? Or am I being blind

salhford

Banned
Local time
Today, 16:16
You can choose MySQL databases. MySQL is an open-source system that works under the General Public License (GNU). It runs as a server providing multi-user access to a number of databases. It helps an organization to acquire its prerequisite business goals. This system enables a person to speed up constrain queries and input. It contains nice features such as security, performance, recovery and open source nature.

Dreamweaver

Local time
- Native Access can handle about 1 million records but it does slow down a bit.
Sorry to jump in but the Above statement is incorrect and even misleading.

If a Access accdb Datafile backend tables are designed correctly and depending on data types within a table that table can hold 10+million entries, I have Tables with 6+Million Entries (With A Single User) Chart Tracker 2525 The lookup of Data For say The Screen below is around a second depending on system usage on a i7 32gb memory

The SQL used for above also includes a number of additional tables as below.

SQL:
SELECT tblCharts.ID, tblCharts.WeekEnd, tblCharts.ChartID, tblCharts.RecordingArtistID, tblRecordingArtists.RecordingArtistName, tblCharts.RecordID, tblChartRecordings.Title, tblCharts.LabelID, tblCharts.Position, tblCharts.LastPosition, tblCharts.CatNo, tblCharts.Sales
FROM tblRecordingArtists INNER JOIN (tblChartRecordings INNER JOIN tblCharts ON tblChartRecordings.RecordID = tblCharts.RecordID) ON tblRecordingArtists.RecordingArtistID = tblCharts.RecordingArtistID
ORDER BY tblCharts.Position;

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Only to avoid confusion, I'm going to mark this thread as "Closed."

Anyone who wishes to debate the concept being discussed can open a new thread that won't confuse newer members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom