Which screen capture software do you use? (1 Viewer)

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 04:58
I use Techsmith Snagit. It's a very nice software, but with each update, it's getting more and more hungry for memory & resources.
I'm trying to move to another software, but can't find a descent one.

Do you have any suggestion?

Being able to capture video and images is the only necessary factor. (plus adding annotations, arrows etc)
Both paid and free suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:58
Greenshot. Zero cost.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 12:58
I use Techsmith Snagit. It's a very nice software, but with each update, it's getting more and more hungry for memory & resources.
I'm trying to move to another software, but can't find a descent one.

Do you have any suggestion?

Being able to capture video and images is the only necessary factor. (plus adding annotations, arrows etc)
Both paid and free suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you
Print screen button then paint then ctrl v.
Over the years every time someone tries to show me that their fancy software taking a screenshot is better , it takes them longer to use there's than it does me to just use the print screen button and paint . I've never seen the need for anything else all I've tried three or four of them.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 15:58
On windows 10, Shift-WinKey-S brings up the screen clipper. I just paste the image into Evernote and do annotations there if needed. I also use a nice auto hotkey script to create simple screen clips that always stay on top of all other windows by holding Win key down and dragging. I use that a lot.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:58
The U.S. Navy settled on Snag-It about 10 years ago. Don't know what they use now, but I don't have to do fancy documentation image capture any more so I just do a print-screen into PAINT and go from there.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The snipping tool. I usually have it minimized and alt-tab into it, works like a charm.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:58
The snipping tool is great for when you don't need to include a dropdown. For that, you either have to use the Windows print screen or a tool like Snagit. I've been using Snagit for years and I like it less and less as time goes on with each new version. They have the same disease MS has - change for the sake of change. They have taken what used to be simple and obvious and converted it to being complex and downright annoying.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I still use PrintScrn key + Paint, I can do this faster than I can utilize any tool I've tried - with one exception - my current employer uses Greenshot, and I do prefer it in one specific scenario - where I want to draw/select a portion of the screen and instantly put it on Copy (for pasting directly into the body of an email, etc). In this case Greenshot is faster than PrintScrn, Paint hotkey, Select, CtrlC.

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 04:58
The snipping tool is great for when you don't need to include a dropdown.
@Pat Hartman which version of windows are you using?
In win 10 & 11 you can take a screen capture of a drop down with snipping tool.

Open Snipping tool, set it to Rectangle Mode, click to drop down a combo box, press Window+Shift+S, and draw a rectangle to capture the combo
box.

Screenshot_20230118_080402.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom