Why is a filter on a form is being replaced by a search macro? (1 Viewer)

jonobugs

I have a student database (Access 2007) and on the student information form I have it filtered so that only the active students are shown.

The filter is on the "Data" tab on the property sheet.

Although I could filter this out on a query, I do it this way because I sometimes want to have access to all the records.

On a separate form, I have a search function. I'm just using macros and it works just fine. I first have the macro open the Student form, then use the "Where Condition" and I typed in this: [FN] Like "*" & [Forms]![frmFind]![txtSearchStudents] & "*"

Okay, so this works, but what happens is that it changes the "Filter" on the Student form, so that the next time I open up the student form I get an error message because my filter is replaced with this: [FN] Like "*" & [Forms]![frmFind]![txtSearchStudents] & "*"

Does anyone know why it's being replaced?

Last edited:

MarkK

Super Moderator
That is the "by-design" behaviour. When you provide a filter in the DoCmd.OpenForm command, that becomes the form's filter. The old filter is overwritten by the new one.
hth
Mark

jonobugs

Okay, I see. Well, I guess I'll just have to change my query that I use to load the form to change it back to the old filter otherwise it shows an error.

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom