Why is Politics compulsive? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:04
I have far too much to do to get stuck in on the political commentary on this forum. Yet I find a certain type of compulsion for it. Maybe it is a blood sport of sorts. Gladiatorial battle, but a bit safer! I will have to cut back though. Need to get a therapist to help.

Does anyone else here find the political discussion a bit compulsive, and if so why? What do you get out of it all?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:04
Maybe it's just USA politics that are way over the top? I just don't see the UK bitching about their clunker politicians.

BTW I was going to say "American politics" but figured someone would have an issues with the word "American" ;)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 07:04
BTW I was going to say "American politics" but figured someone would have an issues with the word "American"
My wife objects to the word "American" since anyone in Canada, Mexico, Chile, etc. are also "Americans". For those reasons, I attempt to minimize my usage of "American". Gets a bit difficult.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:04
Politics has been around for a long time. According to Aristotle,

“It is of the nature of desire not to be satisfied, and most men live only for the gratification of it.”

“They who love in excess also hate in excess.”

“Inequality is everywhere at the bottom of faction, for in general faction arises from men's striving for what is equal.”

“...it is all wrong that a person who is going to be deemed worthy of the office should himself solicit it... for no one who is not ambitious would ask to hold office.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom