Wikipedia (1 Viewer)

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 19:08
Do you have 4 minutes free time to watch this?

If you want to watch : Click the "Watch On Youtube"

Or copy paste this:
Code:
https://youtu.be/ofm9OteeJow

Last edited:

KitaYama

Local time
Click the video to open it in youtube.
The publisher doesn't allow the video on other sites.
Simply click "Watch On Youtube"

or copy paste this :
Code:

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 03:08
Thanks. Watched.
I definitely used to be more impressed with it. I'm still impressed with the story, the man, the wonderful intentions and generosity.

If fallen human nature was more selfless and loving, it would have worked out perfectly, but alas, it is just a competition of who can update pages faster and who can gain the reputation to assert their dominance in what goes on a page. It generally ends up being a certain narrative chosen by the pieces that author wants you to know.

I would say ... sadly ... Google search results, and a bit of smarts in how to navigate and assess their credibility, has now become the new wikipedia.

KitaYama

Local time
it is just a competition of who can update pages faster
Last night I watched an interview with Denzel Washington in an Instagram reel. He was trying to explain how everything has changed to be first, instead of being true.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Last night I watched an interview with Denzel Washington in an Instagram reel. He was trying to explain how everything has changed to be first, instead of being true.
That is so insightful!

Which also explains how easy it is to start a new movement ranging from a to z every ideological physical, spiritual relational or sexual movement that can possibly be thought of.

Too many people don't care if it's actually TRUE or FALSE, they just assume that if it's the newest thing, it must be the "rightest" thing.
Totally silly..

GaP42

Local time
Today, 20:08
I will use Wikipedia, and indeed have used the software to set up a wiki to support dissemination of information about a statewide application among users of corporate data.
Firstly - not all Wikipedia articles are contentious and so there is not competing interests/ perspectives.
Secondly - there are many pages which are protected from vandalism. A moderator role assigned to authorative / knowledgeable experts on an issue are assigned.
It is one among various sources that can be used - and you can check the arguments propounded / edits and commentary.

GaP42

Local time
Today, 20:08
Look to some of the "controversial" topics (at least for some): evolution, the climate change controversy, the biden-ukraine conspiracy theory. At least they require verified citations. What do you get through Google? The list presented to you is most recent/most viewed/ the sites with the better SEO scores - no consideration of accuracy .. and you then pick and choose (which then depends upon your ability to apply critical thinking skills and personal bias). It has its place / role, along with interactive AI, interactive chat, and news/web sites. You cannot be an expert in everything, you can have an opinion, you can / do rely upon your trusted sources (as good as they may be). I hope we can each apply rational assessment, however that will only go so far, we are all biased, we are all capable of being fooled.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Look to some of the "controversial" topics (at least for some): evolution, the climate change controversy, the biden-ukraine conspiracy theory. At least they require verified citations. What do you get through Google? The list presented to you is most recent/most viewed/ the sites with the better SEO scores - no consideration of accuracy .. and you then pick and choose (which then depends upon your ability to apply critical thinking skills and personal bias). It has its place / role, along with interactive AI, interactive chat, and news/web sites. You cannot be an expert in everything, you can have an opinion, you can / do rely upon your trusted sources (as good as they may be). I hope we can each apply rational assessment, however that will only go so far, we are all biased, we are all capable of being fooled.

I can get on board with most of that 👍

kandert

Local time
Today, 13:08
When it comes to gathering information and conducting research, Wikipedia can be a useful starting point. It provides a vast array of knowledge on various subjects. However, it's important to approach Wikipedia with caution, as it is a crowd-sourced platform that can contain inaccuracies or biased information. To ensure the accuracy and credibility of your sources, it's advisable to cross-reference the information found on Wikipedia with reputable and scholarly sources.
Similarly, when it comes to best personal statement writing service utilizing the services of a reputable personal statement writing service can provide valuable assistance. These services offer expert guidance and support in crafting a compelling personal statement that stands out. However, it's crucial to choose a reliable and trustworthy service, considering factors such as their reputation, qualifications of the writers, and customer reviews. Conducting thorough research and exercising caution can help you make an informed decision.

Or copy paste this:
Code:

Interesting video

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 06:08
Great video portraying an idyllic rosy picture of Wikipedia. Wikipedia, while a tremendous concept, has suffered from the law of unintended consequences. I use Wikipedia a lot, especially for science and history related articles, and used to donate to the project. However, for political and cultural related topics, Wikipedia has been hijacked by the virulently progressive left, were that type of content should be considered suspect and not immediately trusted. Furthermore, in violation of Wikipedia's own policies, the virulent progressive left suppresses any "corrections" to the articles that they have assumed control over. Nevertheless, Wikipedia is a fantastic source of knowledge provided that you are aware of these shortcomings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom