Will CNN continue to post Covid-19 death counts? đź’€ (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 16:39
I'm not a fan of Biden. Made that decision a long time ago. I had higher hopes for Trump but he had his chance and screwed it royally and totally.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
"separation of church vs state" issue that should be considered.
My religion says life begins at conception so even the day after pill would be considered a mortal sin (for the non-Catholics, that means you get to rot in hell for all eternity - unless you confess your sin and a priest forgives you (don't ask). I didn't say that abortion should be illegal, just that in a moral society there have to be limits. It's bad enough that a large portion of the population considers abortion a form of birth control. The limit we had decided on and come to an uneasy truce at was - viability. If the fetus is not viable, it is a growth and can be treated as any other growth. But at some point (and that is getting earlier as science progresses), the fetus can survive outside the womb and can no longer be considered a "growth". Do we allow human sacrifice? Do we even allow animal sacrifice? The Mormons believe in polygamy. We have outlawed that in the US. Does anyone mention that Muslims also practice polygamy but no one talks about that. Do we allow slavery, how about concubines? Islam allows those. Should we incorporate their beliefs into our judicial system? Tolerance extends far in the US but not to the point of allowing injury to others except for late term abortion.

Just compare the left's view of the death penalty vs their view of late term abortion. No criminal should ever be put to death no matter how horrendous the crime. All life is sacred! Except for unborn children. FYI, for consistency, I'm against the death penalty also.

Vassago, "viable" is the operative word. If the fetus has no brain, it will die shortly after the umbilical cord is cut since there will be nothing to control bodily functions. It would be cruel to force the mother to carry to term. But with modern science it is surprising that the missing brain took so long to become apparent. I'm sure the abortion was traumatic for your friend and having crazed people shouting at her afterward didn't help.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to take this diversion.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Technically animal sacrifice is allowed of done humanely.

So let me ask you a serious question. You're against abortion completely? Under any circumstance?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:39
get rid of roe v. wade.

Abortions have occurred since ancient Egypt and ancient Greece.

The Hippocratic Oath includes a reference to pessaries, which means that abortions and their medical consequences were already well known in the time of Hippocrates, which would be 460 BC to 370 BC (approx.) But there are written references from 1550 BC. (See Wikipedia article.)

At no time in history have we been able to achieve elimination of abortions. There is a horrific and disgusting phrase - "coat-hanger abortion" - that came about during a time when people tried to make abortions illegal. The worst part is that the phrase came into use following the reality faced by young pregnant women at the time. Young women died or were sterilized by rampaging infection (sepsis) because of "back-alley abortions." We have tried at various times outlawing alcohol, drugs, and tobacco, but it is clear that people will find a way to get what they want. Abortion is no different.

All that is left is to decide how we can regulate it to make it safe when it happens and prevent young women from being permanently maimed because their dead-beat boyfriends couldn't keep their fly zipped. That is ALL that we can do if you look at it dispassionately.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 13:39
Abortions have occurred since ancient Egypt and ancient Greece.

The Hippocratic Oath includes a reference to pessaries, which means that abortions and their medical consequences were already well known in the time of Hippocrates, which would be 460 BC to 370 BC (approx.) But there are written references from 1550 BC. (See Wikipedia article.)

At no time in history have we been able to achieve elimination of abortions. There is a horrific and disgusting phrase - "coat-hanger abortion" - that came about during a time when people tried to make abortions illegal. The worst part is that the phrase came into use following the reality faced by young pregnant women at the time. Young women died or were sterilized by rampaging infection (sepsis) because of "back-alley abortions." We have tried at various times outlawing alcohol, drugs, and tobacco, but it is clear that people will find a way to get what they want. Abortion is no different.

All that is left is to decide how we can regulate it to make it safe when it happens and prevent young women from being permanently maimed because their dead-beat boyfriends couldn't keep their fly zipped. That is ALL that we can do if you look at it dispassionately.
Your entire reply implies that you believe "get rid of roe v. wade" means, "make abortion illegal".

It doesn't ... not even remotely close. It just means localities could express their own group conscience in the matter.

PS .. murders have occurred since Cain, too.
Domestic abuse, murders, child abuse, and even human sacrifices have occurred for most of human history, too.

PS .. dead beat boyfriends and flys zipped and sexual promiscuity being 50% the man's fault, while all true, don't justify anything at all, no matter what it is.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
CNN has not posted a Donald Trump death count for at least 5-6 days. Will they continue this tactic if Biden is elected?
Now that Biden is apparently elected, the media will only publish the number of "cured" to show the success of Biden's plan.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Doc,
No one suggested making abortion illegal or overturning Row vs Wade. What we are talking about is the fine line where people, regardless of their religious beliefs would consider a fetus viable and therefor a person that cannot be killed on a whim.

The morning-after pill is readily available and probably free with most medical plans. If you have unprotected sex and you don't want to get pregnant, take a pill. You'll never know if you conceived and you won't be scared for life by the decision to have an abortion. Why wait until you know you're pregnant 6 weeks later when you will have to have a D & C to get rid of the "growth". Why dither until you go into labor and kill the baby on the way to being born? At some point, you have simply waited too long and need to go through with the pregnancy. Give the baby up for adoption. There are thousands of families who would be ecstatic to adopt a newborn. They'll even pay your medical expenses and a living expense and whatever else the law allows. Selling babies is not allowed so you aren't going to make any money at this but at least your conscience will be clear and it won't cost anything but time.

I have always considered abortion as a method of birth control to be bad for society but when I read the statistics on how many black women have abortions vs babies, I was appalled. They are killing themselves as a race. Margaret Sanger succeeded in her objective and the victims don't even know because the left tells them that having an abortion is empowering. It is your right as a woman to not bother to take birth control measures.

One of the most traumatic events of my life (and I'm going to cry about it for the 100th time) was accompanying a close friend to have an abortion. She was in a destructive marriage. Her husband beat her and she had three children already. They were just getting old enough so that she felt she could get out of the marriage and still be able to support her children when her husband raped her and now she was pregnant again. This was long before the morning after pill or she would have chosen that option. I stayed with her for a couple of days and the two of us did nothing but cry for the loss of that precious life. So yes, abortion needs to be legal but it should never be considered a form of birth control.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:39
I have never advocated abortion as desirable. I have only advocated that it be available in a controlled situation so that a woman does not need to find a back-alley butcher. My comments are those of a pragmatist. I don't want it done very often, but if it IS to be done, it should be done properly and safely. NEVER mandate an abortion - but always allow a choice.

Your entire reply implies that you believe "get rid of roe v. wade" means, "make abortion illegal".

In some states, repealing Roe vs. Wade will do exactly that. Louisiana just passed an incredibly restrictive anti-abortion bill that would take away the rights for ALL repeat ALL abortions for any desperate women in my state. Kansas, North Carolina (or was that South Carolina?), and Texas are other states ready to block abortions immediately, states for which recent anti-abortion laws were stricken because of Roe vs. Wade.

What we are talking about is the fine line where people, regardless of their religious beliefs would consider a fetus viable and therefor a person that cannot be killed on a whim.

The question of viability out of the womb doesn't enter into the picture if Roe vs. Wade falls and the restrictive anti-abortion law just passed in Louisiana becomes law. Under that law, even a fetus diagnosed as anencephalic cannot be aborted in the 1st trimester. Even a fetus tested by amniocentesis and found to have Tay-Sachs syndrome cannot be aborted. Both of those cases would survive outside the womb for a while but death would be imminent. A really restrictive law would mean that the family has to bear a child they know will die in their arms after a brief life of agony, of misery, of horror. This is me making a relative moral judgment about which path is better.

If abortion is legal, then at least it becomes possible to MAKE a decision consistent with one's religion and ethics and situation. With religious extremists pushing to stop all abortions anytime anywhere, one day it might happen that such a decision cannot be made. Yet when you look at that narrow life decision, you have to take into account that certain religions would allow parents to withhold medical treatment for a sick child (not a fetus, but a CHILD) because the tenets of their faith always turn to God the healer. Christian Science is one such group but not the only one. Anti-vaxxers have led to childhood deaths because they don't believe in the safety of vaccinations. A recent measles outbreak revealed that such insanity is still ongoing. Hell, the current COVID crisis with masking is another example of craziness. That fetus that becomes a child STILL isn't safe in this harsh world.

Lots of folks would love to adopt, true, but too many kids are STILL stuck in a foster system or an orphanage system because they aren't "perfect" kids. Parents want "perfect, adorable" kids but the damaged ones never make it anywhere. Pat, you had tears with your friend who had that abortion. I grieve for an old friend Arthur C. from 40 years ago who committed suicide because he was one of the "imperfect" kids that nobody wanted. He fought for a while but then life and his friends couldn't persuade him that he had incentives to live. And we cried for him, for the disdain to which he had been treated, for the hatred shown to him during his formative years.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
CNN has not posted a Donald Trump death count for at least 5-6 days. Will they continue this tactic if Biden is elected?
According to Tucker Carlson today, CNN has discontinued posting Covid-19 death counts. This comes the day after Biden assumed the office of President. However, unexplained in Carlson's disclosure is where on the CNN website, has CNN been posting it's death charts. I looked around.

There is a CNN chart of Covid-19 deaths here. Tracking coronavirus’ global spread.

The CNN "Breaking News Page" does not show a chart. Was it located here previously and is the chart that has now been "dropped" according to Carlson? There is a Covid-19 Live Update tab, but no chart shows up there.

Washington Post, still has a graph of Covid-19 deaths on its front page.

Still a good question. Will the likes of CNN and the Post continue to post graphs of Covid-19 deaths?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Liberals' are not hard to predict they will stop or modify the death count to fit their radical agenda.

Did anyone notice CNN reassigned their superstar Jim Acosta from his white house beat? Let me guess he's been reassigned to Florida maybe Mar-a-Lago?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Watching CNN for a half an hour, no sign of death counts. Maybe Joe cured it?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
My state senator sends me one every day. They are obsessed with "cases".

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
1611447339322.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom