Win 7 is dying, and I think Microsoft has upped the morphine drip. (1 Viewer)

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Yesterday, 21:31
It seems to me that my installation of Win 7 is acting up more and more, programs won't run, It needs to be rebooted daily, Outlook stops working. The list goes on.

Anyone else notice this, I mean I am getting up there in years, maybe it's just the
Twilight Zone

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:31
I wouldn't doubt it, but can't verify for you. My last copy of Win7 was lost when my HDD died last year and the repair shop had run out of licenses for installing Win7 as a repair job. So I'm on Win10.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
My reason for staying this long is that I bought a permanent licence of AutoCad Architecture ($3500) in 2014, Win 10 came out in 2015 and Autodesk decided not to update it and make it compatible with Win 10. A year later. Really?

Then they shut down the old licence servers so no more installs period.

Well I switched my architectural design business to Chief Architect. The same price software but way better for residential design.

So, screw you Autodesk.

Now it's time to upgrade my last machine to Win 10. Doing it this week It's just a big project to do, and has a psychological aspect, like throwing $3500 in to the trash.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:31
I faced the same problem to a lesser degree when some of my old games would no longer re-install.

Sun_Force

Local time
Today, 10:31
Upgrade windows 7 to windows 10. (don't clean install windows.)
During installation process select to keep your installed apps.

After installation, open Autocad's property (the exe file) and select to run it under windows 7.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Upgrade windows 7 to windows 10. During installation process select to keep your installed apps.

After installation, open Autocad's property (the exe file) and select to run it under windows 7.
No upgrade, it's going to be a brand new install on a larger SSD. I'm keeping the old Win 7 intact as a dual boot.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
To be honest, I'm still using Win 7 on my computer that I bought in 2012 and everything's still working great!

That said, with my luck things will start to crash as soon as I post this message...

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:31
I've still got 7 on the laptop I'm on now and the desktop I develop on remotely in our Vegas office. Both seem to be running fine, though the Vegas machine hangs on an update now so I don't bother. Like shadow9449, I fear saying that will jinx them. :p

I do like how fast my other laptop boots up and runs though (Win 10 + SSD).

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I have a windows 7 machine and the other day it popped up a huge message on boot about not being supported - first time I had seen it.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have a windows 7 machine and the other day it popped up a huge message on boot about not being supported - first time I had seen it.

Seems odd that you're just now getting it. I recall getting something like that quite a while ago. If memory serves, it had an option to dismiss and I haven't seen it again. You'd think it was triggered by a date or something.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
True. but, could have something to do with how rarely I reboot the machine and/or the status of my windows updates (which have long since piled up, uninstalled, because whenever i try to install them they fail so i gave up)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Ah, good point. It was probably an update that created the warning.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Huh! That just made me realize while saying it out loud, that one or more of my previously failed updates may have actually gone through recently when, out of sheer boredom, I clicked 'install' again. Maybe it's a sign my old 15-lb brick has another year of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom