Working offline (1 Viewer)

zeroaccess

Local time
Yesterday, 19:22
It must depend how your form is set up.

If it's default Access, the changes aren't saved until you leave the record and go to another. So I would presume that if you pulled in a record, and the server went down, and then you tried to update, the save would fail. Right?

deletedT

Local time
Today, 01:22
....the server went down, and then you tried to update, the save would fail. Right?
Not in all situations.
I've been reading several articles where the author explains how to make a database work even if the server goes offline. Then when the server comes online again, the tables would be refreshed. But no one explains the situation where two users edit the same record when the server is down.
I think @isladogs reply in page 1 ( #11) is what I was looking for.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:22
Part of the problem is to be sure that the FE can even come up if the BE is not available, which typically means dynamic linking of the BE rather than static linking. So it complicates the heck out of the design right there. In essence, you cannot assume that you can run ANY query based on BE data until you verify that you can see the BE file in the first place AND THEN connect to it. Once connected, loss of a BE server is STILL going to be catastrophic for the FE.

To attempt this at all must in turn imply that the FE could ONLY be used for raw data entry at that point unless you have a duplicate of any required reference tables in the FE. Like lookup tables or any table on which a combo or list box might be based. So I'm not saying you CAN'T do it, but it might represent a bigger bite than you want to chew.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:22
Using temps tables with multiple users you could find yourself in this position, if two or more were working on the same record. And then you did a bulk update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom