Can't change form names or copy and paste forms (1 Viewer)

George-Bowyer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:29
I have a FE/BE database that I have been using for many years and every now and then (usually before a new edit) I create dated backup copies that just live in a folder.

I am trying to do a new edit of the FE but for some reason I am not able to rename or copy and paste some forms. If I right click and select rename, it allows me to type in a new name, but when I hit enter, it just blinks back to the original name.

If I try to copy the form and then paste a copy, it just says "Name conflicts with existing module, project or object library".

If I try to copy and paste with an entirely different name, I get "The search key was not found in any record", followed by "The Microsoft Access Database Engine could not find 'frmXXXX'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly. If 'frmXXXX' is not a local object, check your network connection or contact the server administrator."

Other forms I can rename and copy and paste ok.

Stumped.

Thanks,

George

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Google that search key not found error. I have seen that mentioned before.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The "search key" message sounds like a corruption.

Copy your database first, then try a compact and repair. It's not exceeded 2Gb has it? That would result in an error of some sort. You might need to create a new database, and import everything into it. (If you can). Be careful as you may lose everything.

Is the database split? Do you have backups of the data and code? If not use it as a learning experience for the future, and be careful to manage back ups carefully.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:29

DickyP

Local time
You can achieve much the same by:

In the 'good old days' with Access 2003 an Visual SourceSafe when this happened I just recreated the database from VSS.

If you are using Access-vcs you can do the equivalent (assuming you have kept your repository up to date).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom