Renaming database Front End and BackEnd (1 Viewer)

hfsitumo2001

Local time
Today, 13:35
I want to make the same database for our church. Can I rename my database with the other name, then I start developing it fit to our church need. What things to be considered for front and back end. Usually all VBA that refers to the previous name should be changed?

Thanks for any advice.

Frank

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 21:35
If you are going to give it to your church, what is in a name?
What is it called now?
Perhaps amend your code to take any name into consideration?
So it Fe db is called Test.accdb and Be is test_be.accdb, the BE name can be deduced from the FE?
Also take into account any path changes.
Perhaps have a settings table?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:35
Just remember that FE/BE cases link databases by file names. You can copy the files and rename them, but remember that when you open the new FE, you will have to get to Database Tools on the ribbon to relink the tables by using the file names. The good news is that you can do that as a bulk, one-time operation because you can select all of the tables and THEN give Access the new path.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:35
Usually all VBA that refers to the previous name should be changed?
There shouldn't be any VBA that refers to the previous name. The BE is linked. So, if you change the name of the BE, you will get an error when you open the FE because the BE wasn't found. The linked tables manager can easily handle the relink and then the next time the database opens, it will be looking for the new BE and it will open correctly.

In the cases where you want to refer to folder paths, the best solution is to always store them in a table. That way, if you need to change the path, you open the table/form and change the path name.

hfsitumo2001

Local time
If you are going to give it to your church, what is in a name?
What is it called now?
Perhaps amend your code to take any name into consideration?
So it Fe db is called Test.accdb and Be is test_be.accdb, the BE name can be deduced from the FE?
Also take into account any path changes.
Perhaps have a settings table?
Thank you for your advice.

Frank

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@hfsitumo2001 Do you have the code you need to automate the relink? The code is different for a one-user app than a multi-user app. For a one-user app, you assume that both the FE and BE are in the same folder and named as _FE and _BE and you automatically relink assuming the matching _BE file is found. You do have to use the find the BE method if the BE is not where it belongs.

For multiple users, the FE and BE would NEVER be in the same folder since the FE runs from the local C: drive and the BE is stored on a server where all users can link to it to share it.

hfsitumo2001

Local time
@hfsitumo2001 Do you have the code you need to automate the relink? The code is different for a one-user app than a multi-user app. For a one-user app, you assume that both the FE and BE are in the same folder and named as _FE and _BE and you automatically relink assuming the matching _BE file is found. You do have to use the find the BE method if the BE is not where it belongs.

For multiple users, the FE and BE would NEVER be in the same folder since the FE runs from the local C: drive and the BE is stored on a server where all users can link to it to share it.
No Pat, I do not have the relinked code, I appreciate if you could give the codes to me.

On other things, Since our church has different storage, can I ask you about Server. How can we install the server system. We have internet in our church, but from the computer monitors/clients to the server, should it be connected with the wires/cables? or we can use internet. We have internet in our church.

Thank you.

Frank

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Access is a tool that is used on a LAN. ALL users must be connected to the LAN, preferably using wired connections rather than wireless. Wireless connections are dangerous between Access front ends and Access back ends. If your church's LAN is wireless, it would be better to use SQL Server Express as the back end database.

Let's start with your environment. Will every user be able to connect directly to the LAN in the church's office? Or, are you expecting remote users to also be able to use this application over the internet?

hfsitumo2001

Local time
Or, are you expecting remote users to also be able to use this application over the internet?
No Pat, just like three location within the church. The problem I do not know how to convert MS Access database to SQL. So the best option maybe to build a LAN, but It could be very expensive for the church.

Thank you for your advice

Frank

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If the Church has Internet, that should allow you to create a peer to peer network that all the computers can join. It needs to have a password because you don't want anyone in the church that is using your public internet to be able to access the connected computers.

See if you can get instructions from the church's internet provider. Most people who have more than one computer at home have made a network. I have two desktops and my laptop connected and the printer is also connected so all the computers can use the printer via the network.

I recently created a database for a charity. I did not like the idea of having to install the BE of the application on one of the workstations where a person might or might not be working or even in the office if the workstation was a laptop that could be taken home. So, I also donated an NAS drive. This is the link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JKM0A36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It has 2 T of storage and was the perfect solution. It plugs directly into the router - check the router to ensure that it has a usb you can plug into. The drive has enough "intelligence" to act as a file server (DO NOT USE THE CLOUD FEATURE - this must be installed as a local drive with no cloud functionality or Access will not work) I consider it to be a bargain. It was pretty easy to set up. I talked to the charity's IT support and he has moved all their shared files to this drive and he also using some of the space to take backups. The Access app only needed a very tiny space on the drive.

So, if you don't donate or get them to buy a drive like this, you can pick a computer that must always be on when they are working in the office and designate it as the "server". Create a separate folder that you can designate with a drive letter that everyone can link to. The BE goes in the "shared" folder. Then I use a batch file which is run from a shortcut on each desktop to copy the FE from the master folder on the "shared" drive to each user's local drive. So, the FE is replaced each time they open it and it always runs from the local computer.

Access can be flaky when you connect to the LAN wirelessly as you will be doing and as my charity people do. But, sometimes you don't have great technology. You'll have to instruct the users that if there is a network "blip" they might lose their connection. They need to shut the app and then reopen it. They will probably have lost the record they were entering/updating but they can renter it when they reconnect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom