Virtual Reality Headsets - worth the money? (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:25
I haven't played anyone yet, except bots and drills. That is fine for me now as I am enjoying that immensely and improving my skills. I tried a game against a bot but I hit the filing cabinet! The area I use is not big enough for playing a proper game. I might juggle things around and try a different spot, but I try to play whilst standing on my yoga mat which is permanently in a specific location.

How many hours do you think you have spent playing your golf game?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
You're welcome. You can always sell the device if you don't like it, so the risk of a bad purchase is reduced.

The Meta website is the place to go: https://www.meta.com/en-gb/experiences/

I would recommend: Beat Saber, Eleven Table Tennis and Thrill of the Fight. That lot will cost you £50 ish. All three would give you a workout. And you could play all three for years.

I personally have little interest in the games right now. For me, it is about fitness + fun.
I have never been much of a gamer.
I preferred software more like Air Traffic Controller, Space Shuttle re-entry :) I did play Wolfenstein3 D for a short while and Terminator likewise for a short period, but then got bored. :)

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:25
How many hours do you think you have spent playing your golf game?
About an hour a day, almost everyday, for the last 2 years. I would guess that I missed less than 10 days in that time.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
One last question.
I am the sort of person that would buy a laptop with 4GB and then upgrade it myself to 8 or 16, whatever it could take.
I see the 128GB is £499 and the 256GB around £620.

Are you able to upgrade yourself, or is it just one module?, so you would need to replace a 128 with a 256 and if non standard, then a huge markup would be present.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
About an hour a day, almost everyday, for the last 2 years. I would guess that I missed less than 10 days in that time.
Now that is what I call value for money. And I presume with no intentions of stopping anytime soon.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
One last question.
I am the sort of person that would buy a laptop with 4GB and then upgrade it myself to 8 or 16, whatever it could take.
I see the 128GB is £499 and the 256GB around £620.

Are you able to upgrade yourself, or is it just one module?, so you would need to replace a 128 with a 256 and if non standard, then a huge markup would be present.
You can't upgrade them, but 128gb is fine. If you are going to spend £1,000 on apps then go for the 512gb version. You could probably store about 20 apps on the 128gb version. I've been through all this research myself recently.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I have never been much of a gamer.
I preferred software more like Air Traffic Controller, Space Shuttle re-entry :) I did play Wolfenstein3 D for a short while and Terminator likewise for a short period, but then got bored. :)
I don't see the apps I bought as gaming because I am physically doing it. Consider it more like sport.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I preferred software more like Air Traffic Controller, Space Shuttle re-entry
There's some cool flight sims

@Gasman When you buy a game you don't need to keep it loaded on the quest. You can download or delete at will. Just needs to be loaded when you want to play.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You have to be careful with some games because many people get motion sickness. All the games I am using don't give me that because you are not moving like on a racing game, where your brain gets confused because you are stationary but appear moving.

Edit: That game looks awesome.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
many people get motion sickness
I've gotten it a few times while flying. Luckily you can just pause the game and you have both feet back on the ground.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
You have to be careful with some games because many people get motion sickness. All the games I am using don't give me that because you are not moving like on a racing game, where your brain gets confused because you are stationary but appear moving.

Edit: That game looks awesome.
Old seadog here, so hopefully that will not happen? :)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
If you don't get motion sickness from VR, then you are very lucky indeed. You have a world of SIMs to explore! That dog flght sim looks great fun.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Old seadog here, so hopefully that will not happen

On the odd occasions I've been to sea, I've never got seasick. That is until I went out on a small fishing boat off the coast of Tenerife! It's a horrible experience!

I was told it was because two currents meet at Tenerife, the choppiness produced causes the boat to pitch bow to stern and port to starboard....

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I had college mates that went to sea all around the world in various weather including type 3 storms. Then went they went across on the Mersey ferry, they were seasick? :-(

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm in pain! Aching all over. I've done 2hrs 13 minutes today of VR fitness, which is 629 calories. That is a lot of calories to burn through cardio. It was a combination of Beat Saber and spending lots of time on table tennis drills with the ball machine. Frankly, I think I've overdone it!

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
An update from yesterday, I ended up doing a little more ping pong. Calorie burn for the day was 688 calories.

Before, exercise required me to push myself into it. This stuff pulls me in. Motivation not required.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I'm getting very interested in getting a vr headset...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom