Shootings in US schools (2 Viewers)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 13:21
ColinEssex said:
Ok Dan - you may be surprised, but compared to Spain the UK does "close" at 5pm!!!!

Col
I think I need to clarify this comment a little.

In Spain (where its much warmer) the shops close between 2pm and 5pm for a siesta. Restaurants and bars remain open, the shops then re-open at 5pm till 8pm. Therefore many people will do shopping after 5pm, so as a result there are loads of people out and about and all the shops are open.
Many Spanish people eat out as a family and they never really start to eat their evening meal till 9pm or 10pm - its much cooler then. This gives the impression that there is always many people about - either shopping or eating all evening up to around midnight.

In the UK, our shops close at 5pm or 5.30pm (unless its late night shopping) that means the streets are more empty (than Spain) at that time - until the "nightclubbers" get on the streets from about 9pm. The High St. where I live is packed with people "clubbing" from midnight through to 3am when the drunks are staggering home, people are fighting, unconscious or whatever - and thats just the girls!

In Spain, you don't get any "binge drinking" - bars are open all day, you can have a beer at 7:30am if you want.

Col

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:21
Rich said:
You see that's the problem with Americans, they never venture overseas to see how the World actually is
The trip was originally supposed to be to Iceland, but the little woman didn't get the reservations in on time, so we're stuck with Cancun:D

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
ColinEssex said:
I think I need to clarify this comment a little.

In Spain (where its much warmer) the shops close between 2pm and 5pm for a siesta. Restaurants and bars remain open, the shops then re-open at 5pm till 8pm. Therefore many people will do shopping after 5pm, so as a result there are loads of people out and about and all the shops are open.
Many Spanish people eat out as a family and they never really start to eat their evening meal till 9pm or 10pm - its much cooler then. This gives the impression that there is always many people about - either shopping or eating all evening up to around midnight.

In the UK, our shops close at 5pm or 5.30pm (unless its late night shopping) that means the streets are more empty (than Spain) at that time - until the "nightclubbers" get on the streets from about 9pm. The High St. where I live is packed with people "clubbing" from midnight through to 3am when the drunks are staggering home, people are fighting, unconscious or whatever - and thats just the girls!

In Spain, you don't get any "binge drinking" - bars are open all day, you can have a beer at 7:30am if you want.

Col

In the much more user friendly and enlightened America, the shops never close.
Some Wal-Marts are open 24 hrs
711s and other national convenience store chains 24 X 365
Wendy's open till 2 Am

R

Rich

Bodisathva said:
The trip was originally supposed to be to Iceland, but the little woman didn't get the reservations in on time, so we're stuck with Cancun:D
Well I assume one's warmer than the other;)

R

Rich

jsanders said:
In the much more user friendly and enlightened America, the shops never close.
Some Wal-Marts are open 24 hrs
711s and other national convenience store chains 24 X 365
Wendy's open till 2 Am
Haven't you contradicted yourself in your second sentence?:confused:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Yes, alot of our Tesco supermarkets are open 24hrs, as are our petrol stations and convenience stores in the town centre are open till 2am.

You of course will need a Wal-Mart open 24hrs for the emergency middle-of-the-night purchase of guns and ammo I suppose?

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Yes, alot of our Tesco supermarkets are open 24hrs, as are our petrol stations and convenience stores in the town centre are open till 2am.

You of course will need a Wal-Mart open 24hrs for the emergency middle-of-the-night purchase of guns and ammo I suppose?

Col

That's right Col,
You never know when that old killer instinct is going to surface.

But seriously, you do encounter some, how do you say, interesting people at 2:30 am in a Wal-Mart.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
Haven't you contradicted yourself in your second sentence?:confused:

Well maybe a partial contradiction.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
jsanders said:
That's right Col,
You never know when that old killer instinct is going to surface.
well, if you were a nocturnal hunter, that could be very handy.

But seriously, you do encounter some, how do you say, interesting people at 2:30 am in a Wal-Mart.

I'll bet you do in America:rolleyes: If I lived in America, I wouldn't dare venture out on the streets during darkness, the chances of getting home alive or uninjured seem very slim.

I have to say though, I am able to do our shopping during normal hours, but I gather its handy to have Tesco's open in the night for night workers and the like who tend to sleep during the day.

Plus of course, Tesco's do alot of business at night in the lead up to the Pagan festival on Dec 25th

Col

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Bodisathva said:

How little? Perhaps she just couldn't reach the higher brochures? :D

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Matt Greatorex said:
How little? Perhaps she just couldn't reach the higher brochures? :D
under 5'...I was actually being literal :)

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:21
ColinEssex said:
If I lived in America, I wouldn't dare venture out on the streets during darkness, the chances of getting home alive or uninjured seem very slim.
Depends, if you live in one of those bug liberal cities, that would be true, but I live in a huge (4th largest in the US) not so liberal city, and go out at night. My biggest concern (specially on the Guzzi) is hitting a deer or other animal in those sections with trees.

KenHigg

Local time
ColinEssex said:
If I lived in America, I wouldn't dare venture out on the streets during darkness, the chances of getting home alive or uninjured seem very slim.

Especially if we knew it was you. :eek: :D :p

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
FoFa said:
Depends, if you live in one of those bug liberal cities, that would be true, but I live in a huge (4th largest in the US) not so liberal city, and go out at night. My biggest concern (specially on the Guzzi) is hitting a deer or other animal in those sections with trees.

You live in Houston then. I grew up in Clear Lake.

You want to talk about misleading.

Until the rest of country caught up to Texas, in gun ownership, Houston was the murder capital of the entire United States. You should refrain from using liberal, it softens your case for keeping the mafia in the white house.

Why is it that Repubs always try to make it sound like Demos are soft on crime?

When those very same people want softer traffic laws and clame government interference in their live when they put cameras at red light to catch CRIMINALS.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
ColinEssex said:
I'll bet you do in America:rolleyes: If I lived in America, I wouldn't dare venture out on the streets during darkness, the chances of getting home alive or uninjured seem very slim.

Col

Col,
How do you define slim?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom