Access 2013 ACCDE file not compatable with Access 2010 (1 Viewer)

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:46
Hi,

I build a db in Access 2013 but rest of the users are using Access 2010. I converted the front end of the db into ACCDE but users were getting the message that the file is not compatible. So I had the compact the front end file.

So does that mean that I can not make an ACCDE file for Access 2010 users at all? And i would have to use vb to hide navigation bar, etc?

Is there a solution to this? I cant use Run Time since downloading anything on our machine is not allowed.

Thank you

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
OK would it be OK. if I open my db in Access 2010 and then make ACCDE in 2010. Would that work then for both 2010 and 2013?

Or I just simply compress the db in 2013 and distribute the front end to the users?
Thank you

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:46
>>>OK would it be OK. if I open my db in Access 2010 and then make ACCDE in 2010. Would that work then for both 2010 and 2013?<<<

Well it seems logical, I'd give it a try...

Let us know how you get on....

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
>>>OK would it be OK. if I open my db in Access 2010 and then make ACCDE in 2010. Would that work then for both 2010 and 2013?<<<

Well it seems logical, I'd give it a try...

Let us know how you get on....

I tried and below are my findings:

#1. I took my db built in 2013 and converted to accde in 2010. The file worked just fine in Access 2010 but in 2013 one of the command button with vb code for password wasnt working and there are case statements on a few forms which were also not working.

#2. I took my db built in 2013, first 'compacted and repaired' in 2010 then made the accde file but the same results as #1 above

#3. I took my db built in 2013 'compacted and repaired' in 2010 and it is working fine in both 2010 and 2013.

So based on this, it seems like I will end up just compacting the front end and use vb to protect different aspect of the db. I would not be able to use accde at all.

Is there any consequences of not using the accde file?

Thank you

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
>>> but in 2013 one of the command button with vb code for password wasn't working and there are case statements on a few forms which were also not working <<<

Please post the offending VBA Code...

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
you need to develop in the lowest version of access which your users will be using.

if your users have A2010, then you need to develop with A2010, not A2013.

it may be a reference issue with a ACCDE. You have developed in A2013 references, which won't exist in A2010. Now in a ACCDB, maybe Access can be clever enough to auto-fix the references, as you have requested the build in A2010 format. However, you can't fix the references in ACCDE databases.

If you give users the ACCDB you lose all control/security. If it's just a company database it might not matter.

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
>>> but in 2013 one of the command button with vb code for password wasn't working and there are case statements on a few forms which were also not working <<<

Please post the offending VBA Code...

Here is one for a command button:

Code:
Dim strInput As String
Dim strMsg As String
    'Beep
    strMsg = "This form is used only by the user authorized to create a new project." & vbCrLf & vbLf & "Please enter the password to gain access."
        strInput = InputBox(Prompt:=strMsg, title:="Form Password")
        If strInput = "gate2016" Then
        DoCmd.OpenForm "sfNewProject"  
        Else
        MsgBox "You are not allowed access this form.", vbCritical, "Access Denied"
    Exit Sub
   End If
and here is another one for a tab control that load various forms through an unbound subform based on the tab you click.

Code:
Private Sub TabCtl64_Change()

Select Case Me.TabCtl64.Value

Case 0
Me.ubForms.SourceObject = "sfProjectDetails"

Case 1
Me.ubForms.SourceObject = "sfSummaryOfStatus"

Case 2
Me.ubForms.SourceObject = "sfCriticalPathMilestones"

Case 3
Me.ubForms.SourceObject = "sfProgramDependencies"

Case 4
Me.ubForms.SourceObject = "sfBudget"

Case 5
Me.ubForms.SourceObject = "sfCapacityManagement"

End Select

End Sub
These are the 2 things I noticed that didnt work and I stopped right there. There could be many others

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
you need to develop in the lowest version of access which your users will be using.

if your users have A2010, then you need to develop with A2010, not A2013.

it may be a reference issue with a ACCDE. You have developed in A2013 references, which won't exist in A2010. Now in a ACCDB, maybe Access can be clever enough to auto-fix the references, as you have requested the build in A2010 format. However, you can't fix the references in ACCDE databases.

If you give users the ACCDB you lose all control/security. If it's just a company database it might not matter.

Yes, I should have used 2010 to build this but I had asked them for office 2013 for other excel reports etc. and I cant have both 2010 and 2013 at the same time.

If I give users ACCDB then I will use VB (mostly) to secure the:
- design view
- vb code
- tables - so they cant be deleted
- remove navigation panel
- minimize db application window

Is there anything else you can think of in terms of 'control/security' - which you mentioned above?

Yes, its just company's db (info.) and there with limited users - no more than 15.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
it might be sloppy programming. maybe A2013 is less tolerant
it's not clear exactly what the errors are

I am not sure whether without checking but in your second sample

a) I don't like the use of .value

b) not sure whether it should be
!sourceobject, rather than .sourceboject

you could put some error handling in the code to establish what the error is

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
it might be sloppy programming. maybe A2013 is less tolerant
it's not clear exactly what the errors are

I am not sure whether without checking but in your second sample

a) I don't like the use of .value

b) not sure whether it should be
!sourceobject, rather than .sourceboject

you could put some error handling in the code to establish what the error is

Ok thank you. Yes, I am new to this so it could be sloppy vb programming.

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
Update:

I used my work laptop (vs my personal laptop previously) with Access 2010 to make ACCDE from a 2013 file and it worked just fine.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:46
Just for Snorts & Giggles: By any chance was the 2013 version 64-bit and was the 2010 version 32-bit? That will whack you hard right there without need for any other debugging. The references used by 32-bit and 64-bit versions are not the same in that they have different call linkages - mostly but not entirely due to the "pointer-safe" issues.

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
Just for Snorts & Giggles: By any chance was the 2013 version 64-bit and was the 2010 version 32-bit? That will whack you hard right there without need for any other debugging. The references used by 32-bit and 64-bit versions are not the same in that they have different call linkages - mostly but not entirely due to the "pointer-safe" issues.

Both of my work laptops with Access 2010 and Access 2013 are Win 7 Enterprise 32-bit. I have to check my home laptop and will let you know.

Thank you

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:46
If the DB works at home OK then it will also be 32-bit. It was just a shot in the dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom