From A2010/A2013 to Office365 how to? (1 Viewer)

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 04:57
I am still confused about this constellation. I have plenty of applications developed in classic Access and interacting with all the other Office applications. But am in doubt whether they can be moved painlessly to the 365 thing.

And now a client calls asking about Office 365 , and I have no idea.

• can existing setup be migrated or does it need a rewrite or "depends", and in such case on what?
  • a link describing these things?

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
@CJ_London

Thanks for the link but it skips what I need to know.

I have a much more basic issue: An existing A2010 or A2013 interacting with other Office products - can this lot be used by someone having an Office365? I.e. can Office365 replace a conventional Office installation with no repercussions on the existing db's?

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:57
@Spike: check my signature, it's not a joke!

Thinks you will loose:
- automation;
- reports events handling;
- at least with mine, cannot save in other Access listed version.
- no Activex controls (for me it meant couple projects on hold).

And if you don't believe me, check with Gina...

JLCantara

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:57
@Spike: someone in this forum warn (threaten) me about my very direct language about O365. It is a catastrophe and MS knows it damn well! I have spent hours on phone with so called experts. First they deny the existence of the problems and when offered to connect to my PC they switch to an angry tone and refuse to continue the conversation.

I mentioned the point to a financial dept. clerk and she answered with a long sigh!!!
MS staff are poor marionette trained to boast MS products.

zooropa67

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:57
I'm with you on this one. That's why I'm dumping Access except for to knock ideas up quickly. Microsoft has just lost the plot.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Yesterday, 21:57
When you ask From A2010/A2013 to Office365 how to I assume that you are asking how to convert your desktop database to a web database published to a Office 365 hosted SharePoint server. Is that correct?

The new Access Web database that runs in SharePoint is still a very infant product.

Most people are used to the richness of Desktop app, also called a Rich Client, and how great the UX . Thin clients, like a web browser, have many limits. They are just not a rich or powerful as a desktop application. This is true for any browser based app not just Access Web Databases. I agree hat Access Web Databases are far behind in what is possible in the browser but you have to remember that Access is VBA and not .NET.

Even Access Desktop Database application have many limits compared development platforms like manyu of the the languages in .NET.

And there is the Access Desktop 64-bit version.
The Desktop 64-bit version has a whole next set of issues with the conversion of your 32-bit API calls to 64-bit API calls and requiring all the ActiveX controls to be 64-bit.

This is not limited to just Access. It is true for all the 64-bit Office Apps. If you have an created or purchased an Excel Add-in that is 32-bit, it will not work in the 64-bit version.

Note: The issue with ActiveX/Dlls matching bits is true for all development platforms like .net.

For me, if I want to move an Access Desktop app to a true web app that runs in a browser then I use ASP.Net.

Hope this helps clear things use a little.

Last edited:

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
When you ask From A2010/A2013 to Office365 how to I assume that you are asking how to convert your desktop database to a web database published to a Office 365 hosted SharePoint server. Is that correct?

No that is not correct . Please forget web, cloud, sharepoint. Please do not assume anything. Please forget the title.

I have a simple personal database for music collection, created in A2007.No web, no sharepoint, no cloud, no MS SQL. Can this run when user has Office 365 only? If this question is not clear please say so and I will try to rephrase.

The access application that I have can read Excel files, Word files, and Outlook emails, and can output data in Excel, Word, or email them. All using automation. My customer asks if he needs to buy full MS Office package or Office 365 is enough. If he buys Office 365 can he run my existing application unchanged? No web no cloud no sharepoint no changes no internet connection just the existing desktop application? If this question is not clear then please say so and I will try to rephrase.

Last edited:

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Trying to read between the lines in the second-last post, since the poster did not provide an answer to my question.

the answer seems to be a resounding NO, if attempting to exacute a normal .ACCDB (no web no sharepoint) desktop access application but only having office 365 installed.

HiTechCoach

Local time
The short answer is yes if the Office 365 subscription plan includes the Desktop applications.

What has make it confusing for me is that you have said that you want to to (run) on Office 365. That would men you want to use thr hosted servers of Exchange, Sharepoint, Lync, and OneDrive.

I think your confusion may come from thinking that Office 365 is a product, It is not a product but a subscription plan which includes a combination of products and/or services.

Your plan could include the desktop office apps which is all the programs included in Office Professional Plus suite. That means you can do everything you could do if you purchases the desktop Office Professional Plus software separately.

Note: Office 365 is generally the cheapest what to get Office Professional Plus desktop suite and always have the current version. That is the office suite included with any Office 365 plan that includes the desktop applications! And you always get the current release plus more depending on the plan.

What Office 365 plans provide is other additional products or services. Like additional OneDrive online disk space for storing and sharing files. One Drive also included Word, Excel, and Powerpoint online versions. The business plan can also include hosted Exchanges, Sharepoint, and Lync serves.

Another way to think of the Office 365 Plan subscriptions is lie like Cell Phone plans. Your plan can includes cell minutes, texting, data usage, online file storage, etc. You chose the plan that has the combination of services you need.

If you want to get Office 203 Professional Plus then the Office 365 Business plan includes full Office desktop plus extra OneDrive space over a free account.

This plan does NOT include and hosted servers Exchange, Sharepoorint, or Lync.

The Office 365 Business plan is basically a subscription to Office Professional Plus desktop apps.

See: https://products.office.com/en-us/b...5SMB_office 365 business plans_Text&WT.srch=1

Office 365 Business plan is just another way to get the Office Professonal Plus office suite on the desktop!

see attached image.

Hopefully this helps ...

Attachments

• Office365business.png
    Office365business.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
office 365 works fine for me.

it offers the facility to store your databases (and other files) in the cloud or not.

if you select not, then its just a normal office 2013, with a slightly different licensing arrangement, and its always maintained up to date.

HiTechCoach

Local time
office 365 works fine for me.

it offers the facility to store your databases (and other files) in the cloud or not.

if you select not, then its just a normal office 2013, with a slightly different licensing arrangement, and its always maintained up to date.

Most plans have OneDrive for basic cloud storage like Dropbox and others. Not all plans include Hosted SharePoint.

As gemma-the-husky pointed out, storing stuff in the cloud is not a requirement. It ius just an alternative to something like Google Docs or Drop box.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Thanks that does help, but unfortunately partially only.

Because the packages apparently come in different flavors: Click-to-run apps, without automation: "Click-to-run apps" mentioned here http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=280620

Which flavor to go with depends on target user and environment.

Click-to-run works great for some, not for others. IMHO, the click-to-run is good for end user deployment that not a full time user of the app and not for developers, power users, etc.

Standard Desktop deployment work better for others, like developers.

Last edited:

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:57
spikepl,

You cannot take a Desktop Database any version and open it an run it in Access 365 which is an Access Web Database. It needs to be *converted* or hybridized (more on that below).

You can upload your Desktop Database to say, One Drive, and then download enter data and re-sync with One Drive.

You can also create a Hybrid Database which is a Desktop Database, keeping all your cool stuff like reports, automation, etc... and still using the flexibility of Office 365 and Azure. Have a look here...
http://www.devhut.net/tag/ms-access-hybrid-databases/

Web Database, while growing better every day, are still lacking in some key areas, again IMHO. I would look at a Hybrid Database if I were going to take on such a database.

Does this answer you question?

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
spikepl,

You cannot take a Desktop Database any version and open it an run it in Access 365 which is an Access Web Database. It needs to be *converted* or hybridized (more on that below).

You can upload your Desktop Database to say, One Drive, and then download enter data and re-sync with One Drive.

You can also create a Hybrid Database which is a Desktop Database, keeping all your cool stuff like reports, automation, etc... and still using the flexibility of Office 365 and Azure. Have a look here...
http://www.devhut.net/tag/ms-access-hybrid-databases/

Web Database, while growing better every day, are still lacking in some key areas, again IMHO. I would look at a Hybrid Database if I were going to take on such a database.

Does this answer you question?

I just don't understand this. I do it all the time. I have an A2003 database which I develop in A2003.

I have Office 365, because I need outlook.

Now surprisingly Access 2003 won't email via Outlook365.

So, instead I can just start up Access 365, open the A2003 database and then the email functions work without problems.

I just do not recognise these issues about A365 not working like any other Access version. There is nothing on the product card that says any part of office 365 won't work on a desktop.

fwiw, I just opened A365. The first two templates offered are:

1. Custom Web App
2. Blank Desktop Database

When you click on a "downloadable template" the first question asked is a selection between a web app, and a desktop app

eg
https://support.office.com/en-gb/ar...9af-a1d7-ed84253fb4fe&ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Dave,

You cannot take your Desktop Database *upload* to Access 365 and expect it to work.

Your code will not work - No VBA only Data Macros
You will need to redesign your Forms
No reports
No ActiveX Controls

I did not say you could not create a Desktop Database from Access 365 which you will need Access 2013 to code in the way you are accustomed to. I did say you can not take your Access 2003 upload and expect it to work.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Sorry misunderstood

you said "web database" at the start, didn't you? I missed that nuance! :eek:

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmm, is that too much coffee or not enough coffee? :rolleyes: