Col Please Teach Me English (1 Viewer)

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:10
Type a sentence here, and Col will tell you how to say it properly.

Isnt he a swell guy? Maybe Col's efforts will prove, that English really can be the official language of the US!

KenHigg

Local time
Maybe he'll tell us what a 'second last' post is :p

(Do they teach that in anatony class :p)

redneckgeek

Local time
Isnt he a swell guy? Maybe Col's efforts will prove, that English really can be the official language of the US!

Should be:
Isn't he a swell guy? Maybe Col's efforts will prove that...

Pay attention to proper use of punctuation!:p

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:10
That should actually be, Col please teach me to read, write and speak English correctly:mad:

redneckgeek

Local time
That should actually be, Col please teach me to read, write and speak English correctly:mad:

That should be:

That should actually be:
Col, please teach me to read, write, and speak English correctly.
:p

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
That should be:

That should actually be:
Col, please teach me to read, write, and speak English correctly.
:p
No it isn't, there's no comma used after the word write when followed by the word "and"

redneckgeek

Local time
No it isn't, there's no comma used after the word write when followed by the word "and"

From http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm

Use a comma to separate the elements in a series (three or more things), including the last two. "He hit the ball, dropped the bat, and ran to first base." You may have learned that the comma before the "and" is unnecessary, which is fine if you're in control of things. However, there are situations in which, if you don't use this comma (especially when the list is complex or lengthy), these last two items in the list will try to glom together (like macaroni and cheese). Using a comma between all the items in a series, including the last two, avoids this problem. This last comma—the one between the word "and" and the preceding word—is often called the serial comma or the Oxford comma. In newspaper writing, incidentally, you will seldom find a serial comma, but that is not necessarily a sign that it should be omitted in academic prose.

Optional, but not proper.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
writing and speaking go together like chalk and cheese:cool::p

Local time
Today, 13:10
So, I've noticed some curious language patterns while reading this forum and watching British TV shows/movies.

I frequently see the word "then" pasted at the end of sentences. What's that all about, then?

"got it sorted" is another one.

A couple of others I can't think of right now.

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Here in the South, the singular word "sorted" is used as a response to questions ... example. I think it came from imported movies. Notably Guy Ritchie's since his characters frequently use the word.

Person 1: "Yeah?"
Person 2: "Sorted."

Translation ....

Person 1: "Did you take care of the problem that the VPs were freaking out over and had the boss sweating silver bullets?"
Person 2: "Yes, I fixed it and sorted it out."

-dK

KenHigg

Local time
So, I've noticed some curious language patterns while reading this forum and watching British TV shows/movies.

I frequently see the word "then" pasted at the end of sentences. What's that all about, then?

"got it sorted" is another one.

A couple of others I can't think of right now.

Seems a bunch of extra 'u's floating about: colour, humour, etc :p

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Maybe Col's efforts will prove, that English really can be the official language of the US!
I doubt it, the English language is too difficult for Americans to get to grips with:cool::p

Local time
The use of an "s" when a "z" will do fine. This is more of a spelling thing though.

Another interesting thing is dialect. Most of these written messages are easy to interpret when dealing with each other. But there are times when I hear someone from the UK on TV and I'm like, what on earth is he saying? Is that English? I have to rewind Gordon Ramsay several times to see what he's on about then.

And I remember in another thread where someone said someone else "spat his dummy". Oumahexi was kind enough to explain it to me in a PM that a "dummy" is what we call a pacifier in the US and that the one person was calling the other person a baby (he was spitting his pacifier out so he could cry, presumably). That's the kind of thing you just can't learn in a book then.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
American English is perfectly fine. It's you folks from the UK who can't keep up.

{puts up steel umbrella to deflect the expected derision}

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
American English is perfectly fine. It's you folks from the UK who can't keep up.

{puts up steel umbrella to deflect the expected derision}
American English is two separate words, which one are you having difficulty with?:confused:

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Type a sentence here, and Col will tell you how to say it properly.

To say it properly you have to drop the American accent. Can you do that? Let me hear now :D

statsman

Local time
In the US, Websters is the approved dictionary.
The rest of the English speaking world uses Oxford.
As result, Americans spell words like center, labor and check.
The rest of us spell them centre, labour and cheque.
(Cheque is for money as opposed to checking somthing out).

Others:
If you're cold, there's a draft. Beer on tap is draught.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom