Today, 14:15
I iz so confuzled;

Plz teech me read right stuff gewd?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 15:15
Others:
If you're cold, there's a draft. Beer on tap is draught.

Why do some bottled beers imported from other countries actually have the word draught on them? If it's bottled, then it can't be, right?

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
I doubt it, the English language is too difficult for Americans to get to grips with:cool::p

Nah, we've just taken it and made it better. :cool:

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Why do some bottled beers imported from other countries actually have the word draught on them? If it's bottled, then it can't be, right?

I've wondered about that same thing before.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:15
Where is Col anyway? Maybe he has given up on us?

statsman

Local time

I was always taught that the only difference between bottled beer and draught is that draught is not pasteurized.
Bottled (or canned) beer has a shelf life of two years.
Draught beer lasts about a week. This is why the breweries deliver to your local pub every week.
I don't suppose there's anything illegal about placing the word "draught" on the label, but if it's in a bottle or can, it should have been pasteurized, which would mean it's not real draught.

Next week - wine. ;)

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
So if you go into a Tim Horton's do you order a donut or a dough naught?
Unfortunately, you ask for a donut :(. Even such a proud Canadian religious institution has followed the US lead.

Unless 'do' is what bakers produce, the correct word is 'doughnut' - the material it's constructed from (dough), followed by the shape (a nut, as in nut and bolt).

No doubt the simplified version word came from the same type of contemptible people who came up with 'nite' and 'thru'.:D

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Better only to make easier for Americans to understand:cool:

So what's wrong with that? There is no point in having something be complicated just for the sake of being complicated. :cool:

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:15
No doubt the simplified version word came from the same type of contemptible people who came up with 'nite' and 'thru'.:D
...and tires, aloominum etc

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
...and tires, aloominum etc
'Tires' I'm with you on. There's a huge chain of shops here called 'Canadian Tire' and I think I'll need to be here a while longer before I stop seeing it as a spelling mistake.

I searched for a definitive spelling for aluminium a while back (out of curiosity and not at all to settle a bet wth the wife) and as there's not consensus as to where it was created, it appears that 'aluminum' is as acceptable as 'aluminium'.

What puzzles me about Canadian spelling is that for some words they use the English AND the US versions. For example, in the local phone book there are entries for both 'jewelry' and 'jewellery', and for both 'pediatricians' and 'paediatricians'. This last example results in pages of entries between what are, essentially, listings for the same job.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
And don't forget 'nu'.
I almost had

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom