DAO & Run-Time Error 429 (1 Viewer)

BrettM

just a pert, "ex" to come
Local time
Today, 14:46
Creating External Backup - but getting RunTime Error 429

I have an issue with creating an external backup file on a machine that has never had a full version of Access installed on it. My app installs a copy of 2003 Runtime and everything works true to plan... except for this backup routine.

I keep getting that awful
Run-time error '429':
ActiveX component can't create object

Microsoft have a document which covers this error (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189366) however this document is based on ACC97.

I think the offending line in my code might be

Code:
Set dbsNew = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).CreateDatabase(sBackupFile, dbLangGeneral, dbEncrypt)

The DAO license key should be being provided by using the "DBEngine" command so I am not sure why the error is occuring.

Has anyone had any experience with this error on 2003 Runtime installations?

Regards Brett

Last edited:

BrettM

Local time
Creating External Backup - but getting RunTime Error 429

Just discovered that a backup file is actually created but it has no fields in it so it doesn't appear to be the actual "CreateDatabase" command that is causing the issue.

Can anyone suggest what else will give that "Error 429" on a machine with only Access 2003 Runtime installed?

Regards Brett

BrettM

Local time
Re: Creating External Backup - but getting RunTime Error 429

FOUND IT!

It turns out that the Access 2003 Runtime does not allow the use of the CreateObject, the OpenCurrentDatabase, and NewCurrentDatabase functions... even though all the help documentation tells you to use them.

I was using the OpenCurrentDatabase function immediately after creating the backup file so the routine cacked itself on the Runtime only machine. Changing it to the DBEngine.OpenDatabase method fixed the problem.

...love those undocumented variances.

Thanks to those who thought about my problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom