Error 3346: The number of query fields and destination fields are not the same (1 Viewer)

hturgut

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:20
Hi everyone
I am trying to insert several data into a table. (simply appending students and teacher attendance) I can do students but I have got problems with teacher attendance

The following code works fine
Private Sub UPDATETEACHER_Click()

Dim strSql As String
Dim strSql_2 As String

strSql = "INSERT INTO tblTeachersAttendance (CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID)" _
& "SELECT CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID FROM tblCoursesTakenByTeachers WHERE tblCoursesTakenByTeachers.Teacher_ID = " & Me.cbo_Teacher_Name & " AND tblCoursesTakenByTeachers.Course_ID = " & Me.cbo_Course_Name & " ;"

strSql_2 = "INSERT INTO tblTeachersAttendance (AttendanceDate, AttendanceDuration, AttendanceNote)" _
& " Values(#" & Me.AttendanceDate & "#, " & Me.AttendanceDuration & ", '" & Me.Attendance_Notes & "') ;"

Debug.Print strSql
DoCmd.RunSQL strSql
DoCmd.RunSQL strSql_2

End Sub

But as you may guess, it creates 2 different rows. I just need to insert those values into single row. I use the following code but error 3346 comes up. I don't what is wrong.

Dim strSql As String

strSql = "INSERT INTO tblTeachersAttendance ([CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID], AttendanceDate, AttendanceDuration, AttendanceNote)" _
& "SELECT CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID FROM tblCoursesTakenByTeachers WHERE tblCoursesTakenByTeachers.Teacher_ID = " & Me.cbo_Teacher_Name & " AND tblCoursesTakenByTeachers.Course_ID = " & Me.cbo_Course_Name & " " _
& " Values(#" & Me.AttendanceDate & "#, " & Me.AttendanceDuration & ", '" & Me.Attendance_Notes & "') ;"

Debug.Print strSql
DoCmd.RunSQL strSql

End Sub

I really appreciate for your help. I already tried INSERT INTO SELECT and UPDATE second part (I mean AttendanceDate, AttendanceDuration, AttendanceNote) but i couldn't I don't which reference I should use in UPDATE code to put values in the same row.

ted.martin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:20
These 3 fields

AttendanceDate, AttendanceDuration, AttendanceNote

need to be included in the SELECT statement. At the moment your have 4 fields to INSERT but on ONE in the SELECT.

To ensure you don't make errors like this, I often create my SQL code from a standard Query using the QBE grid, then go to the SQL view, copy the code and 'tweak' it; especially if variables are involved. That way all your fieleds will match.

hturgut

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your relpy Ted.

The problem is just there. Because The fields
AttendanceDate, AttendanceDuration, AttendanceNote are not coming from where CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID comes.

I have a form which user enters students and teacher attendance easily. In that form User needs to input data into
AttendanceDate, AttendanceDuration, AttendanceNote fields. But CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID is coming from the table tblCoursesTakenByTeachers where the condition in SELECT statement matches.

Therefore I tried to update 3 fields after entering SELECT statement. But I stuck there.

Any suggestions?

ted.martin

Registered User.
Local time
So if your form holds these fields, AttendanceDate, AttendanceDuration, AttendanceNote, then they need to be part of the Select statement.

In your SQL statement for the above fields try "SELECT CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID, #" & Me.AttendanceDate & "# , " & Me.AttendanceDuration & ", " & Me.AttendanceNote & "

If this doesn't work, then try posting a (zipped) copy of your db here and I will take a look.

Last edited:

hturgut

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Ted,

I did the following code

Dim strSql As String

strSql = "INSERT INTO tblTeachersAttendance (CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID, AttendanceDate, AttendanceDuration, AttendanceNote)" _
& "SELECT CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID SELECT CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID, #" & Me.AttendanceDate & "# , " & Me.AttendanceDuration & ", '" & Me.AttendanceNote & "' FROM tblCoursesTakenByTeachers WHERE tblCoursesTakenByTeachers.Teacher_ID = " & Me.cbo_Teacher_Name & " AND tblCoursesTakenByTeachers.Course_ID = " & Me.cbo_Course_Name & " , #"

Debug.Print strSql
DoCmd.RunSQL strSql

End Sub

Somehow it gives Compile error: Method or data member not found for Mr. Attendance Duration.

Sorry but I am not professional I don't know why it didn't appear for Attendancedate.

What do you suggest?

I really appreciate for your help.

ted.martin

Registered User.
Local time
Almost there - just double-check you have the forms control names correct. Your reply above has a space between Attendance and Duration where your SQL does not. (not to mention the Mr instead of Me).

hturgut

Registered User.
Local time
It is my mistake. Everthing is correct. There is no space and yes it is Me.AttendanceDuration. still same.

I tried to attach but 2MB limit. It is a bit big file. more than 10 MB.

ted.martin

Registered User.
Local time
Zip the file or just send the tables and the key form you are using that calls the SQL

hturgut

Registered User.
Local time
I am sorry but I don't know how to send only tables. How can I?

ted.martin

Registered User.
Local time
As you don't have a 'split' database then just copy the whole file, open it and delete all the bits I don't need and then zip and send that. All I need is the two tables you refer too and also the Form where the 3 troublesome fields are stored.

Last edited:

ted.martin

Registered User.
Local time
Just a thought, is Duration a Date/Time field? if so, it will need the #" & Me.DurationDate & "

ted.martin

Registered User.
Local time
Ok - send file as suggested and I will take a look at it for you.

hturgut

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for your help.

I attached the tables and forms.

Form : frmClassAttendanceEntry

In this form. At the bottom, Update Teacher Attendance button has got problem.

Thanks

Attachments

• Prestige Education_2010 - Copy.zip
    189.3 KB · Views: 244

ted.martin

Registered User.
Local time
Try (Copy and Paste) this

strSql = " INSERT INTO tblTeachersAttendance ( CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID, AttendanceDate, AttendanceDuration, AttendanceNote )" & _
"SELECT tblCoursesTakenByTeachers.CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID, #" & Me.AttendanceDate & "#, '" & Me.Attendance_Note & "' " & _
"FROM tblCoursesTakenByTeachers"

Last edited:

hturgut

Registered User.
Local time
I did that but it is the same. I think you've made a mistake that you typed twice AttendanceDate twice instead of AttendanceDuration.

I tried yours and changed the second one AttendanceDuration but it is the same error.

I read something on forums now that Forms can be corrupted. I've checked everthing on Form (whether there are same name or something) nothing is there.

Thanks

ted.martin

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks = yes i did. I also noticed that in the first line when you break the string, you omitted the &. Leave it with me a few more minutes. We will crack it.

hturgut

Registered User.
Local time
Yesss I did it.

Dim strSql As String

strSql = "INSERT INTO tblTeachersAttendance (CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID, AttendanceDate, AttendanceDuration, AttendanceNote)" _
& "SELECT CoursesTakenByTeachers_ID, #" & Me.AttendanceDate & "#, " & Me.AttendanceDuration & " , '" & Me.Attendance_Notes & "' " _
& "FROM tblCoursesTakenByTeachers WHERE tblCoursesTakenByTeachers.Teacher_ID = " & Me.cbo_Teacher_Name & " AND tblCoursesTakenByTeachers.Course_ID = " & Me.cbo_Course_Name & " ;"

Debug.Print strSql
DoCmd.RunSQL strSql

End Sub

Thank you very much for your help.

ted.martin

Registered User.
Local time
You beat me to it.

As I suggested, when you are having trouble with SQL, design it initially in the QBE grid.

See my example Query

Well Done

Attachments

• Database1.zip
    77.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

hturgut

Registered User.
Local time
I understand it. It is really much easier. Thanks for everthing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom