Security Wizard Reset (1 Viewer)

Chessie1934

Local time
Today, 13:38
Security for my databases was initially set to apply to all of my databases by using the Security Wizard. At that time, only I and a handful of users would be accessing these databases. We've decided to make one of them public, but it appears that only users I have added to the user groups are able to access them. This creates a problem since at minimum dozens of users will want to access this database. Can I restore or reset security conditions to none so I can readdress security in each individual database?

This may be a double post. I was unable to find my original post. My appologies.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:38
To remove Security you need to do the following.

Create a New Blank Database, save it and close.

Open the new blank databse with the same command line you use to open the current security File.

Import all objects into the new Blank Database. That is Tables, queries forms etc. Close the database.

Now open it without the security command line. It should behave the same as any unsecured Databse.

A Technical Point. All MS Access Databases to Version 2003 have ULS running. The Default user is Admin and the password is blank.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Access databases in the .mdb format are ALWAYS secured. The default workbroup is System.mdw which is why that workgroup should NEVER be modified. If you secured your app with that workgroup, you'll need to "unsecure" the database and then restore the default System.mdw file either by getting it from a source that hasn't been contaminated or by uninstalling and reinstalling Access.

Access maintains a registry key that tracks the most recent workgroup you joined. That's why once you join a "secured" workgroup, it seems to secure every database you use from that point on. You need to get back to a state where System.mdw is "unsecured" and that is your default workgroup.

The default user is Admin. When you open database that isn't specifically secured, Access silently logs you in as "Admin" and gives you total permission.

Once you have secured one app it seems like they are all "secured". The solution is to rejoin the default version of System.mdw.

To eliminate the problem, create shortcuts to your "secured" apps and use the /wkg swith to specifiy the name of the workgroup to join. This will allow you to temporarily join the workgroup but does not update the registry.

Download the Security FAQ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/207793
It is critical that you understand every word of it in order to use security correctly in an .mdb. Of course, ULS has been deprecated with A2007 because rather than make it comprehensible, the MS team decided to get rid of it entirely.

Chessie1934

Local time
Well, chose uninstall/reinstall. It took nearly two weeks to get my request addressed and more than a day to get it reinstalled due to factors beyond my control. When I finally got it back, the security settings did not return to the default and I suspect they will not by any means. My final option is to use my personal desktop but I have 2010 and use 2007 at work. I'm concerned about 2010 being backward compatible with 2007 so my coworks will be able to use the database. Can anyone tell me if 2010 is backward compatible?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A2007 can open databases created with A2010 as long as you haven't used or even tried any A2010 feature.

I attached an unaltered copy of system.mdw. copy it to your PC and join it. That will "unsecure" all Access .mdb's that have not been specifically secured.

If you read the FAQ I posted, you will see that whoever "secured" the system.mdw made a serious mistake. But joining unsecured_system.mdw should unwind you.

In the future only launch secured Access .mdb apps via a shortcut. The shortcut should point to the system.mdw or whatever .mdw was used to secur the app by using the /wkgrp argument. This will keep Access from modifying the registry and securing all your databases again.

Attachments

• Unaltered_System.zip
    100.4 KB · Views: 234

RainLover

Local time
A2007 can open databases created with A2010 as long as you haven't used or even tried any A2010 feature.

Pat

Could you explain this for me.

How can you not have used a 2010 feature if the Database was built in 2010.

Thanks.

RainLover

Local time
Chessie

If I am not too late, suggest you make a copy of your current system.mdw and rename it before installing the one Pat sent you.

It could come in handy with some of your current "Secured" databases.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not to worry rain, I renamed it ahead of time so it wouldn't overlay his existing one.

A2007 and A2010 use the same file format but A2010 adds features that are not available in A2007. For example, if you tried out a web form, that would make the database not usable by A2007.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom