Database Corruption (1 Viewer)

way2bord

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:27
After auto-repairing and restoring a corrupted database, I discovered an automatically generated access table:

I've never encountered a negative errorcode before. :(
Anyone familiar with the following...?

Code:
table: MSysCompactError

[U]Fields[/U] : [U]Value[/U]
ErrorCode: -1017
ErrorDescription: Record is deleted.
ErrorRecid: 爂
ErrorTable: <tablename>

Also...
:banghead: Any reccommendations on how to pinpoint what is causing database corruption? We've gone months with zero-issues, but recently the backend database has corrupted twice in 2 weeks.

I've a gun feeling there's some sort of introduced conflict from new end-users (we've had a large influx of new users - potentially using legacy equipment or home-PCs versus standard configged IT hardware). Could it be different OS or Access versions? (ie. an '07 or '03 opening the DB and creating the first lock file, followed by a '10 logging in?)

Any feedback or insight appeciated.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:27
Connection dropout problems often cause corruption. Is your network hardware up to the increased number of users?

way2bord

Registered User.
Local time
Connection dropout problems often cause corruption. Is your network hardware up to the increased number of users?

No problems with the company network; perhaps offsite end-user issues connecting over VPN? I don't have a lot of control over this aspect. Any other recommendations, or suggestions to implement, from a database design/management perspective, that could reduce the above problem?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Offsite is definitely an issue with Access. Passing the pages from the Access backend to the front end and back across a WAN will almost always cause corruption.

Ideally, change to using Terminal Services so that the front end is run on the server and the users are remotely controlling the session.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
It may not do a lot but worth a go.

Create a new Database, import the Tables and make the new one the current Back End.

Do you have anything else in the back end. Like code.

Is it only a Front end Back end situation. You don't have anything else like a Code Library that you share.

RainLover

Local time
Don't forget a Compact and Repair on your new Back End.

Do heaps of back ups.

I would guess that at the moment you still have some corruption.

If it does not compact and Repair you will have to test every Table until you find the fault.

davegeei

Local time
MS Access MDB and ACCDB database files may get damaged due to many number of reason. To repair such error i would recommend RecoveryFix for Access Database recovery software.

Thanks

RainLover

Local time
MS Access MDB and ACCDB database files may get damaged due to many number of reason. To repair such error i would recommend RecoveryFix for Access Database recovery software.
Thanks

I have never used that program/tool. Does it tell you what was wrong or does it simply fix it.

And does it actually fix a damaged record or does it just delete.

Would be interested in knowing. Thanks.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:27
If you are using Acess over a WAN you need to use a Terminal Server or something that allows a long Session Timeout. If there is an outage you can resume the Session.

Simon

way2bord

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for the feedback.

There's never any problem recovering from the corruption - and plenty of backups have been made.

I would, however, like to minimize repeat occurrences of corruption since any time a recovery is necessary, the end-users are unable to access the data.

The database is split appropriately. There is currently only tables in the backend, while the front end does all processing/forms/etc. and only sends/receives table-data updates.

It sounds like a Terminal Server is one of the best options...but I am very unfamiliar with its use, especially in regards to an Access database. :banghead:

Manual Compact and Repairs are run regularly, but I'd love to automate a compact and repair scenario, given that A) users may be connected, B) the backend is not / front ends are not running continuously.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
See nobody can tell you the exact cause behind database corruption since there are many.

I said what the cause was in post 4. Access connecting across any network with potential for significant latency will corrupt the back end.

RainLover

Local time
Just for clarification.

Does every user have their own front end. I am thinking more about your remote users.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:27
The problem with WAN access is an outage. This has to mitigated.

Simon

dcima

Local time
I had the same problem, try with AccessFIX, I always use this software when I have a corrupt database

Last edited:

RainLover

Local time
I would think that this Question has been answered.

If not create a new Thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom