Question Access 2013 (1 Viewer)

cdoyle

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:54
Hi All,
It's been awhile since I'm really worked with Access, and today someone asked some questions about a project and tracking the data in Access.

Well I'm looking at Access 2013, and it's changed a lot since the last time I worked with it.

I see they've added Apps, and that will work with SharePoint and it looks pretty cool.

But playing around with the App section, are you still able to create 'reports' in a database that was created to be an app?

I love the idea of people being able to easily add data to the database, but don't want to give up the ability to create custom reports.

Anyone been using it yet?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:54
I'm not sure what "apps" are since I haven't installed A2013 (no reason to upgrade since there is nothing new for client/server apps) but web databases CANNOT generate reports or automate any office programs such as Outlook. So they can't send email either. Plus they are limited to macros so before you dive in, make absolutely sure you can create the features you need.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
but web databases CANNOT generate reports
Can you clarify that statement? Reports can be built but they are web forms. But the statement makes it sound like, if you need a report, you can't do it. That is misleading.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:54
A form is not a report. Reports have options to group and supress duplicate information that make them easier to read in addition to supporting headers and footers for grouping levels. Forms don't do that. Reports are optimized for printing. Forms usually look pretty bad when you attempt to print them.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
A form is not a report. Reports have options to group and supress duplicate information that make them easier to read in addition to supporting headers and footers for grouping levels. Forms don't do that. Reports are optimized for printing. Forms usually look pretty bad when you attempt to print them.
Web forms are not the same as desktop forms. You can create a nice looking formatted report using web forms. It is totally possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom