Sample Databases (1 Viewer)

burrina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:47
Why have the database show up at all until it is approved? Frustrates users.

burrina

Registered User.
Local time
I have none that need approval. However for example if you look in the Sample Databases you will see a Pending Approval database there. Makes no sense to show up until approved to me was my point. People are trying to download it and cant!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:47
I have none that need approval. However for example if you look in the Sample Databases you will see a Pending Approval database there. Makes no sense to show up until approved to me was my point. People are trying to download it and cant!

I don't understand?

Do you need a database approved?

If so please post a link and I will approve it.

burrina

Registered User.
Local time
If you look in the Sample Databases you will see a Database uploaded by Paul Cherian that says Pending Approval. Users cant download it until it is approved. It should NOT show up until it is approved is my point. Look at how many times it has been viewed and users wanted to download it!

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I suppose the thread shouldn't even be visible until it's approved.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I think Uncle T misunderstood burrina's complaint.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
From the point of view of when I was an ordinary OP, I recall waiting patiently, and a little impatiently for my samples to be approved, so I understand the frustration.

From the point of view of a MOD I get no notification when a sample is added, so short of visiting the relevant forums every day, (Not going to Happen) the only time I will know is if someone raises an issue.

There has been mention of changing the way samples are managed in the MOD forum. As the issue has been raised again, I will post a link to this thread.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I have suggested in the MOD forum that a small change to the "Report a Post" wording would allow that system to be used to notify of a post requiring approval.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 20:47
What if someone posts a new Database and would prefer having some input as to the quality of the Code etc.

If you can't download how can you help.

And who said that the Mods know everything about the infinite things that can happen behind the windows. They simply can't be expected to pass proper judgement on every variation.

Some databases are too complex and are just for the benefit of a few enthusiasts.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I don't know what the criteria for approval is , but I would have thought that it would be concerned with the basic rules, is the DB normalised, is there a decent naming convention, is it documented so that it is understood , etc.

Whether there are criteria regarding the mods testing or approving the work in technical ways I don't know, but we surely would not want basic bad practice posted in the samples area.

As Tony has stated we need a simple method of notifification for the mods.

Brian

RainLover

Local time
I don't know what the criteria for approval is , but I would have thought that it would be concerned with the basic rules, is the DB normalised, is there a decent naming convention, is it documented so that it is understood , etc.
Brian

Brian

Have you had a close look at the Databases currently on file. Some of them just do not work. It would appear that the higher you are (MVP, Big Poster Etc) the worse the quality becomes.

This is not just limited to AWF.

And why should they be perfect. These people put something up there to help but do not have the time to go all the way.

The standard we set should be of at least some standard acceptable to the group.

Do we need the following statement.

Code:
               Option Compare Text
               Option Explicit
Have a look at your own code. I could almost guarantee you don't have these yet they are correct.

It is very hard to set a standard. I was discussing online the use of a prefix for every single field.
I did not think it necessary. But my other said what would happen if they changed what was a reserved word.
How can we win.

Anyway just some food for thought.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I am not sure if Rain is criticising me or not, I think he is , not sure why.

I think that there is a difference between a sample database and the suggestion of code to solve a poster's problem, I believe that the former demands higher standards, not that I am suggesting the latter should be sloppy but often, nay normally, you are working with object names set by the poster, frequently people do not even show the Sub End Sub statements, just the relevant lines of code.

I have had no need to look at the sample data bases for a long time, does that mean I can not make a general statement?

I agree that I am not perfect.

I agree with you on using a prefix for the very reason that new reserved words may be added.

Brian

RainLover

Local time
I am not sure if Rain is criticising me or not, I think he is , not sure why. Sorry if read that way. Not intended.

I think that there is a difference between a sample database and the suggestion of code to solve a poster's problem, I believe that the former demands higher standards, not that I am suggesting the latter should be sloppy but often, nay normally, you are working with object names set by the poster, frequently people do not even show the Sub End Sub statements, just the relevant lines of code.

I have had no need to look at the sample data bases for a long time, does that mean I can not make a general statement?

I agree that I am not perfect.

I agree with you on using a prefix for the very reason that new reserved words may be added.

Brian

No Brian I am not having a go at you personally or otherwise. I thought you brought up a couple of good points in your previous post that required commenting on.

If someone is to approve these Databases they would have a lot of work to do. They could not rely on reputation as I have personally downloaded samples written by senior members and found them to be defective in many ways. I won't name them as they went to the trouble of writing what they did so that is usually better than nothing.

I agree with your words that I have underlined.

I hope you are understanding where I am sitting on this. It is fine to ask for the best but exactly what is that. How far do we go in our expectations.

Remarks. What may be necessary for some is merely taking up space to others.

These remarks are restricted in the main part to Sample Databases and does not include snippets of a few lines of code.

Again Brian, I had no intention of defaming you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom