"The Search Key Was Not Found" Error (1 Viewer)

D

donaldjlynch

I have an Access 2000 database on a windows 2000 Server and it has been working fine for the last 5 years. Just recently I have been having some record errors that result in an invalid record being added (it has a large Auto-number primary key) and the record cannot be removed. When I try to remove the record I get the message “The search key was not found in any record” and the records is not removed. Also running a compress/repair does not help at all (ran a number of times and still the record could not be removed). I have gone to the Microsoft and it referenced a lot of tech-speak that I could not understand related to the Jet engine and to apply all update and the some other things I was lost with. I think I am up to date but I do not know how to check my Jet Engine release and more important where to download a new one (need a simple link to it). As to my MS Access 2000, I am at Service pack 3.

Any ideas on how to fix this, I am at a big convention that is using this database and I am worried that this will become a big problem before long.

Thanks in advance.

statsman

Local time
Yesterday, 21:00
Get out of your switchboards and whatever. Open the table in preview. Highlight the record you want and press "DEL" on your keyboard.

D

donaldjlynch

Read what I said agin - Problem Solved now for $300

You missed the part where I said :cool:
"When I try to remove the record I get the message “The search key was not found in any record” and the records is not removed"
I did exactly what you were talking about a long time ago. I purchased the "Advanced Access Repair" package for $300 and it worked great. All problems solved. I hated to have to pay that much but all my searches could not come up with a fix. I have been an Access developer from the beginning (Access 1 - I also used FoxPro at that time) and I know my way around the package and VBA but have not had a problem like this since Access 95. With no tools from Microsoft to fix this I had to go to a third party vendor.

whhaatt

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:00
Import Export

Hi

Just an idea but

Have you tried to create a new database and import the table, Once you have done this try deleting the secord.

Save the new databse, then delete the table from your own DB and import the table from the new table.

Worth a try

Hope it helps

whhaatt

Registered User.
Local time
Import Export

Hi

Just an idea but

Have you tried to create a new database and import the table, Once you have done this try deleting the secord.

Save the new database, then delete the table from your own DB and import the table from the new table.

Worth a try

Hope it helps

whhaatt

Registered User.
Local time
Import Export

Hi

Just an idea but

Have you tried to create a new database and import the table, Once you have done this try deleting the record.

Save the new database, then delete the table from your own DB and import the table from the new table.
*** PLEASE BACKUP YOUR ORIGINAL DB FIRST ***

Worth a try

Hope it helps

M

Marange263

Same problem - found a fix

hi - this is the first time this has happened but i was experimenting with some code to create new records. (i had a backup a day old)
same problem but lots fewer records - Access 2K mde FE and mdb BE.

Was finally able to eliminate the unwanted record by closing both the FE and BE and then reopening only the BE -and compacting.
Then able to open the table in the BE and delete the record.

J

jschjol

I'm Having This Problem Too

I have this problem too. I have a table with records that I cannot delete. I've tried just about everything to get these records out of the table - copying all of the other records into a new table, exporting the table as a different type of file, deleting using a query, converting to a different version of Access, compacting and repairing etc. - all result in Access crashing and the database becoming corrupt and needing to be repaired (which of course causes Access to crash again).

Another error message I get when trying to delete is "The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time." (FYI - there is definately no other user trying to work with this data.)

I need these records out because I'm trying to import the data into a SQL Server database - the import crashes because of these records. Has anyone else tried the "Advanced Access Repair" application? Are there some other obscure tricks you could use to get these records out? Could it have something to do with the Microsoft Jet database engine?

Thanks in advance for your help!

jbenezech

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:00
Hi All,

I know this Thread is quiet old but did anybody came up with a solutionother than buying the $300 repair package ?

I use DAO to access the backend database. When I update a column (CodeTableB) in one of my tables (tableA) and then query:
select * from tableA where CodeTableB = MyNewCode, I see the line but the column CodeTableB seems empty ???

When trying to update/delete this record, I get the "Search key Not Found" error.

I recreated my database from sratch and re-imported the data into the tables and get the same problem. I figure it's a problem with the data themselves but WHAT ?????

And more importently, how do I get my application to work again ?

jbenezech

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:00
Hi All,

I know this Thread is quiet old but did anybody came up with a solutionother than buying the $300 repair package ?

I use DAO to access the backend database. When I update a column (CodeTableB) in one of my tables (tableA) and then query:
select * from tableA where CodeTableB = MyNewCode, I see the line but the column CodeTableB seems empty ???

When trying to update/delete this record, I get the "Search key Not Found" error.

I recreated my database from sratch and re-imported the data into the tables and get the same problem. I figure it's a problem with the data themselves but WHAT ?????

And more importently, how do I get my application to work again ?

funkymonk

Local time
Yesterday, 19:00
Solution?

Hi All,

I had this same error and was stuggling to find out what caused it, when I came across these posts. I later found the solution (for me, at least) and thought I'd share. On my DB there was a Memo field that was indexed and when I had more than about 1,800 characters in that field, I was getting the error message "The search key was not found in any record."

When I removed the index from that field, the error went away!

Hope that helps.

Ben

dave_UFgator

Local time
Yesterday, 21:00
fix for "search key not found error"

had the same error when trying to delete a specific record in a table. try undoing all primary keys temporarily to delete the record and then reset your primary keys.....worked for me.

TastyWheat

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:00
Thanks for the tip funkymonk. I was getting the error message trying to change two fields in a record. It turned out that I had indexed a memo field and a few text fields. The fields didn't even have a lot of data in them, so just to be safe I don't think you should ever index a memo field. Indexing a text field sounds okay as long as the data is limited to a list.

Last edited:

sbjakins

Local time
Yesterday, 19:00
I did the same thing as dave_UFgator and that worked for me.

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:00
I've had the same problem and what I did was to copy the structure of the table then copy/paste all the records up to but excluding the corrupted row. Then copy/paste the remaining records.

Last edited:

Bill Cowell

Local time
Yesterday, 20:00
“The search key was not found in any record.”

I was having the same problems. I was using a Macro to copy records from one table to another backup table. Both tables setup the same with the primary key being the ID (Autonumber). Well, while making changes, the ID numbers somehow no longer matched up :confused: "sequentially". I removed the primary key from my main table, but left it as my backup table. This seems to have cleared up the error for me. Hope this helps anyone.

GL
Bill

Gerri

Local time
The search key was not found in any record

Have just discovered I have this problem, and have read the preceeding posts with interest. Discovered the error quite by chance (which makes me a little nervous about other errors in database I haven't uncovered). Sorted Sales table containing 130 records by unique primary key and 1 record disappeared. (Sort not filter) There are 13 fields in table including one which logs the entry date. If I sort by any other field I get 130 records, but by ID field or customer ID which is a lookup field in table I get 129. Tracked down the errant record and was met with 'search key not found' when I tried to delete it. Have not yet tried solutions others have offered on this site, but am concerned with integrity of whole database as this error did not reveal itself except by chance.

rubenbentein

Local time
Today, 02:00
Solution

I had this problem, and it appeared that all the consequences posted in this thread come from 1 cause: "The Search Key Was Not Found" or which means that somewhere in your table, on some field there is an index on a Memo that is used to retrieve,delete or update the record. Just remove the index and your problem will be solved.

Greets

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
"nonsense" messages like this can point to some database corruption.

Definitley worth saving the data, trying to repair/compact etc until this is resolved.

I had a dbs with a corrupt row in a table that was giving rogue error messages. dleeting the corrupt row reolved the issue

i think although it LOOKS like access has tables and things it probably doesnt REALLY in that sense. Who knows what it really does ... i mean it will store data, and it will have balanced index files in there somwhere, but presumably any internal corruption in the file can manifest as something else entirely

guideman

Local time
the search key was not found in any record

i have looked at this section but my problem is in importing an excel file into my database.

i do this all the time but suddenly i have this error but only on one sheet in the workbook. All other excel sheets can be imported. i have copied the data in the sheet to another and access will not import that either.

am i just missing something obvious?

please help.

guideman:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom