Diseases? (1 Viewer)

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:01
I went in for a routine physical last week and came out with leukemia :eek:
Seems I may have had this for years and didn't know it. Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. No treatment required at this time. Doc said go home, live your normal life, come back in 3 months for re-testing. Anyone out there experienced anything like this?

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 08:01
Sorry to hear this. Here is some stuff I dug up on the wait and watch part:

Link

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
Sorry to hear this. Here is some stuff I dug up on the wait and watch part:

Link

Ken:

Doc gave me this same information yesterday. I actually have a close friend with non-Hodgkins lymphoma who is on Rituxan treatments. I guess a lot of folks who are diagnosed with CLL get upset when they find out they aren't going to be treated for it. I took it as good news. I could have been diagnosed with acute leukemia and been given 3 months to live! :D

KenHigg

Local time
Friday said:
Ken:

Doc gave me this same information yesterday. I actually have a close friend with non-Hodgkins lymphoma who is on Rituxan treatments. I guess a lot of folks who are diagnosed with CLL get upset when they find out they aren't going to be treated for it. I took it as good news. I could have been diagnosed with acute leukemia and been given 3 months to live! :D

You do seem to be in good spirits... I guess all you can do is trust the doctors and put it in the hands of the Man above. :)

Did you think of getting a second opinion?

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
You do seem to be in good spirits... I guess all you can do is trust the doctors and put it in the hands of the Man above. :)

Did you think of getting a second opinion?

The oncologist I went to has a very good name around here. My wife works in the medical field and got several references, he was the tops.

As far as my spirits are concerned, I don't see any reason to fuss about. What would be the point? I have to consider my family. If they see me all depressed, what will the effect be on them?

KenHigg

Local time
I'd say they're quite fortunate to have you about :)

(And I'll be sure to send one up for you ;) )

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Sorry to hear your condition. I hope the best for you. Just curious, but what age do you typically start getting physicals and testing for stuff like that? I'm 32 now and have wondered from time to time about when I should start getting these things.

Andromeda

I'm happy you left me
Local time
Today, 20:01
I understand you point.. and it will be trully heart breaking to hear you are sick.. especially for your wife and kids...

May the Lord guide you and grant you full strength to overcome this trial..
Hoping for your recovery...be positive!

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 14:01
That's bad news Friday.
A good friend of mine was diagnosed the non-hodgkins leukemia
and had gone thru chemo therapy and all that. After the chemo he did everything that he had never done, quit his job, travelled around the world
and enjoyed life to the max.
Unfortunately he didn't really recover and died last year, but held the spirit high and as said , lived the life to the max. He was a great example for others
how to deal with these diseases and keep the spirit in such a positive way.
Wish you all the best and enjoy life as much as you can.

lynsey2

Registered User.
Local time
hey friday! :D

i'm sad to hear that news for you :(

Its really good that you are not dwelling on something you cant change, not just for your family but for you too! as long as you dont feel unwell or anything use it as an excuse to do everything you always 'never got round to'

I dont know much about it or anything like that but i just wanted to let you know i was thinking about you.

i'm guessing everyone here would be willing to listen / read anything you want to blether about. I am.

i'll shut up now! :rolleyes:

hope your ok x

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
NJudson said:
Sorry to hear your condition. I hope the best for you. Just curious, but what age do you typically start getting physicals and testing for stuff like that? I'm 32 now and have wondered from time to time about when I should start getting these things.

I am 49. The odd thing about CLL is that the doc said it is usually found in males 65 years of age and older (my wife says I must be an old fart at heart). My last physical was 10 years ago (when I went into the police academy). At 50, you should go every year. I'll be having my blood tested every 3 months for awhile, until the doc gets a grasp on the progression of this stuff. Next year I get to go for the really fun physical that includes the colonoscopy. :eek: You are 32. I would get one if you haven't had one in quite awhile. Your doc can advise you on how often you should get one.

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
rak said:
That's bad news Friday.
A good friend of mine was diagnosed the non-hodgkins leukemia
and had gone thru chemo therapy and all that. After the chemo he did everything that he had never done, quit his job, travelled around the world
and enjoyed life to the max.
Unfortunately he didn't really recover and died last year, but held the spirit high and as said , lived the life to the max. He was a great example for others
how to deal with these diseases and keep the spirit in such a positive way.
Wish you all the best and enjoy life as much as you can.

rak:

That is sad news about your friend. I have a close friend who has non-hodgkins lymphoma. He has been going strong for 15 years. He had a stem-cell transplant several years ago. Now, if his disease comes back, they put him on a new drug (not chemo) called Rituxin and he is good for 3-5 years. If his numbers go up again, he just goes back on Rituxin. Treatment takes 4 weeks.

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
lynsey2 said:
hey friday! :D
i'm sad to hear that news for you :(
Its really good that you are not dwelling on something you cant change, not just for your family but for you too! as long as you dont feel unwell or anything use it as an excuse to do everything you always 'never got round to'
I dont know much about it or anything like that but i just wanted to let you know i was thinking about you.

i'm guessing everyone here would be willing to listen / read anything you want to blether about. I am.

i'll shut up now! :rolleyes:

hope your ok x

lynsey:

Thanks for the kind words. My oncologist is very confident that I will beat this disease, so it is pretty easy to have a good outlook. Much easier when I have all these friends here in the USA and around the world looking out for me. :)

R

Rich

Lay back open a bottle of Californian Merlot, smoke a few numbers, put on some Floyd loud, then drift away and forget about the forthcoming colonoscopy :D

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Lay back open a bottle of Californian Merlot, smoke a few numbers, put on some Floyd loud, then drift away and forget about the forthcoming colonoscopy :D

Hey, I do that every night... :D

Well, sometimes I put on Jethro Tull...

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Does he still have snot running down his nose? :D

I like Locomotive Breath better than Aqualung....

....God, he stole the handle, and the train it won't slow down...

after all, I do work for a railroad. :D

Andromeda

I'm happy you left me
Local time
Today, 20:01
I just hope everything works out fine for you dude...

R

Rich

Friday said:
I like Locomotive Breath better than Aqualung....

I've always thought that Thick as a brick would be an ideal signature tune for Bush and Bliar

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom