Access 2007 slow to start? (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 20:20
Hi all,
Last week I swapped a 1TB hard disk for a 2TB SSD in HP laptop with Win10 and 12GB Ram.
Now I think this has to be coincidence, but since then, my Access takes quite a while to load, probably around 20 seconds. After that it behaves as it used to.

I have tried several repairs, one immediately when the issue started and yet another after uninstalling any addins, so all I have left is Smart Indenter,
Luckily for me I do not use it seriously, but it is annoying having to wait that length of time just to be able to open any DB.

However, just before I posted this, I tried by double clicking an Access DB and that opens at what I would call normal speed, so I have a workaround.

Still, has anyone came across this behaviour before. As I mentioned, I have to think just coincidence with the installation of the SSD? All the other office programs and other programs load fine, if not a lot quicker.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:20
Because you swapped the drive have you looked at your task manager under the CPU tab? Sometimes the CPU will run at a high rate 90%-100% this can be caused by changes in the system.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 15:20
Just changing the hard drive shouldn't have caused a problem like this. There has to be something else going on. If you open the application directly, not an existing database file, do you still see the 20 second load times? It should load virtually instantly. Try disabling any other applications that may be active and seeing if there is some kind of conflict. I read somewhere that dropbox or game emulators can interfere with Access startup times.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:20
To determine if this is Access, the hard drive, Windows, or the phase of the moon, you have to do a few experiments and questions to answer to help narrow down where to look.

1. Do other apps and utilities have slow startups? (Or is this ONLY for Access?)

2. Is the directory structure (some people prefer "folder structure") the same?

3. Some drives have special drivers that have to evaluate where everything is located. Does the drive's accompanying literature describe any kind of special management software that gets activated under some circumstances?

4. Does automatic encryption occur for the new drive?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Doc,
No, only access.
Drive was cloned, so same structure.
Nothing mentioned. The SSD is a crucial 2.5 drive.
No encryption.

I have also looked in the event viewer for any clues, but could not find any.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This is funny, come on, I'll write it down and use it again

OK by me, no need to pay literary royalties. In fact, when I went to college, we used to talk about how some theoretical nuclear physics programs were based on phase-of-the-moon random number generators. That was in the late 1960s, so copyrights would have expired by now anyway.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Doc,
No, only access.
Drive was cloned, so same structure.
Nothing mentioned. The SSD is a crucial 2.5 drive.
No encryption.

I have also looked in the event viewer for any clues, but could not find any.

Interesting. Did the cloning process make the SSD have the 1 TB capacity or did it actually show up as 2 TB? I ask because there are different ways of cloning a drive, and some of them limit the size of the drive if the source is smaller. I would never clone to a larger drive. Instead, I would (IF possible) create the SSD volume to its correct size and then do a backup restoration. Might be slower but avoids cloning anomalies.

Anyway, from your description, this is slow enough that human-eye observation might help. Start Windows Task Manager and switch to the tab for Processes. Click in the CPU column to make the highest CPU user also the top of the displayed list. Now with WTM running in that mode, launch your app and see what, if anything, is running for those 20 seconds. With Access, you can expect two entries to be running (perhaps, one with the < symbol). The two would be MSACCESS.EXE and your app process as a child of MSACCESS. If anything else is running, like your antivirus package, that might indicate a trust issue.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
No, Acronis can clone the disk and upsize at the same time.
I had a 1TB drive with 250MB for C and 750MB for F where all my data is.
So I cloned it as 500MB and 1.5TB (or roundabouts).

If I double click a shortcut to my diabetes db, it appears immediately in WTM as second from the top. Everything is the top one. Ending that task and repeating access is the top app for a second. If I click the Access icon on the taskbar, it does not appear until I get the access window. I get the access splash screen for the 20 seconds but nothing in WTM until the Access window opens?

I turned off AVG file shield and it made no difference.
I will live with it for now, as I have a workaround, and once it is open it works as it should, so just need to remember not to close it for any dbs I do not have shortcuts for, or open via windows explorer on a particular db file.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When you say "Everything" are you referring to the substitute for Windows File Explorer from Softonic?

Also, carefully re-reading the description and subsequent discussions, are you saying that it is faster to direct-click your DB file to launch it, but the launch of "naked" Access from the task bar is slow? I'm curious about something. When you finally DO get Access up with no DB yet selected, how many files show up in the "Recent Files" list? As a test, look at this article (linked below) and clear out the list. See if it affects the speed.

It should also be noted that you are not the first person to report such an issue as differences in timing of starting Access. There is an EXTENSIVE discussion in the next link that might give you some ideas if you reach the point where you want to pursue this elusive beastie.

One biggie that crops up is whether you have cloud services enabled and how you have Access installed.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Yes, everything that indexes all your files and makes for quick searching.
Anything of the MRU list opens quickly.
That last link, the guy has the opposite problem to me.

As I mentioned previously, I can workaround it now I know which wasy to open any DB.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
One side effect of this upgrade, is that several programs that I have purchased have come up as trial versions.
Fortunately I have saved the regsitration keys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom