Access and Advertising (1 Viewer)

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:17
I wanted your thoughts about the possibility of introduction of advertising on a specific Form of a standalone Access application, where the ads are controlled over the Internet ie the ads are stored somewhere on the Internet and are introduced whenever the developer wants.
Thanks,
John

CHAOSinACT

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:17
I wanted your thoughts about the possibility of introduction of advertising on a specific Form of a standalone Access application, where the ads are controlled over the Internet ie the ads are stored somewhere on the Internet and are introduced whenever the developer wants.
Thanks,
John

lol possible but don't see users thanking you for it.

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Many thanks for your reply.

We agree on that fact that users may not like it, but if the advertising is informational they might.

I was looking for the mechanics and whether someone has done it and has shared his experience. I expect that images would be stored somewhere on the Web and maybe downloaded at specific points in time.

CHAOSinACT

Registered User.
Local time
I could help you with access and vba but haven't tried doing advertising...however I do things I don't know all the time.

If it were me I would break this down into parts. the front end vba driven database will be a number of steps, but the advertising i would imagine is hosted and distributed already. the question is how?

I would think they have an asp script or some such thing demand loading. question is how to convert to vba?

If you are making the ads your self then you have a distribution system to build, if so at least you'll know how it works. If not the builder of your system will have standard ways to retrieve data, then you have to load it with vba.

I suspect the major problem for you is distributors are driven by browser delivery and there aren't many aiming at access as a platform.

So....More info about project?

CHAOSinACT

Registered User.
Local time
Also I find a good place to start is researching topics that may/may not be useful. You won't know what the best approach is till you look at a few.

I was browsing this morning and found some data that MAY be helpful depending on which road you go. If I were you I would go over it and file it in my head for "if I need that now I know where to look". It's all about managing web browsers with vba and extracting data from pages. I doubt its a solution, more food for thought at the very early stage of the project.

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=176968

JohnPapa

Registered User.
Local time
Many thanks. I will have look.

I was thinking something simple. maybe an OLE or Image control on an Access form, where the image would be downloaded from the Internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom