Advice required Data looks like it is not saving until form is refreshed / Closed (1 Viewer)

tucker61

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:12
Need Advise please. Had this issue for some time now, trying to show the issue in the images below, when a user inputs some check data - they open up a form, and this assigns a job number - in the below the job number is 89889.
the data is saved in a intake Table (tblIntake) and the detail is saved in a detail table. (TblIntakeDetail)
I can see the new job number is being used in the intake detail table, but when i look at the Tblintake - the job number does not look like it has been assigned.
The only time it gets assigned is when the user either closes the page down, or presses the new button to start a new job.
The sub form is a continuous form.

What am i missing ? is this possible ? Tried to force a attempt save to save the job number but it does not seem to want to work.

Screenshot 2022-09-15 164122.jpg
Screenshot 2022-09-15 163754.jpg

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:12
An autonumbered field's value is only assigned by Form's Update event (explicit or implied). If you "rolled your own" number, you could assign that at any time. Implied Form Update events occur when
1. You are on an record and take an action to create a new record AND at that time, the current record is dirty
2. You are on a record and have a sub-form on the form and the master record is dirty and you change focus to the sub-form.
3. You are on a dirty record and navigate to another existing record.
4. You are on a dirty record and close the form.

There may be other situations. The above are the most common cases. The common theme is when you have a dirty record (i.e. unsaved as yet) and do something to move away from that record. Access will not leave behind a dirty record if you change attention. Because Access is a black-box situation, it is possible that the Update could occur even if the current form ISN'T dirty - but we would never know the difference.

You do not get signaled for a Form Update. You get signaled for Form_BeforeUpdate (which lets you cancel the update or allow it, but if you have an autonumber, it has not yet been assigned) and for Form_AfterUpdate (at which time the update has occurred and the autonumber has been assigned and stored.)

You didn't actually say whether you were using autonumbers, but the behavior you described is why I guessed that an autonumber was involved. If you are NOT using an autonumber, then your problem is to figure out where that job ID is generated and call it sooner. But that is something under your control, whereas autonumber is Access-controlled.

tucker61

Registered User.
Local time
You are correct in implying that I am using AutoNumber, So is this something that I just need to live with ?

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:12
I am having difficulty understanding the issue. I start new record on main form, tab into subform, checked main table and parent record is committed.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:12
June7's point is valid. If there is an autonumbered field on the main and you tab into the sub-form, that should trigger the save of the parent record. At that point, if the job number field is in the main form's record, it should be in the record. From your quote:

I can see the new job number is being used in the intake detail table, but when i look at the Tblintake - the job number does not look like it has been assigned.

WHY do you believe the job number has not been assigned? Because if you have a proper parent/child setup including a formal relation between the parent and child tables, relational integrity (RI) would REQUIRE that the proper parent record exists or you wouldn't even be able to create a child record. If this is not happening, then RI isn't set up correctly and/or the parent/child form properties aren't set up correctly.

But then... do you refresh the form before you check to see whether something has been written yet? Depending on various set-up issues, it is possible for there to be at least a brief lag between the actual update and SEEING the actual update because what is on the screen in datasheet view is actually a snapshot. So... how are you actually checking for this update? (Mechanically, what steps do you take?)

tucker61

Registered User.
Local time
June7's point is valid. If there is an autonumbered field on the main and you tab into the sub-form, that should trigger the save of the parent record. At that point, if the job number field is in the main form's record, it should be in the record. From your quote:

WHY do you believe the job number has not been assigned? Because if you have a proper parent/child setup including a formal relation between the parent and child tables, relational integrity (RI) would REQUIRE that the proper parent record exists or you wouldn't even be able to create a child record. If this is not happening, then RI isn't set up correctly and/or the parent/child form properties aren't set up correctly.

But then... do you refresh the form before you check to see whether something has been written yet? Depending on various set-up issues, it is possible for there to be at least a brief lag between the actual update and SEEING the actual update because what is on the screen in datasheet view is actually a snapshot. So... how are you actually checking for this update? (Mechanically, what steps do you take?)
To check for the update, i have a query to look for unmatched Jobs, and this is always showing me with that i have some jobs in the detail, but nothing saved in the master table. (TblIntake)
Code:
SELECT tblQCIntakeDetail.Delivery_Reference, tblQCIntakeDetail.Input_Date, tblQCIntakeDetail.Enterd_By, tblQCIntake.Job_ID, tblQCIntakeDetail.Job_ID, tblQCIntake.Entered_By
FROM tblQCIntakeDetail LEFT JOIN tblQCIntake ON tblQCIntakeDetail.Job_ID = tblQCIntake.Job_ID
WHERE (((tblQCIntake.Job_ID) Is Null));

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:12
Then relationships and/or form settings are not correct. Time to provide db for analysis? Follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:12
Since you didn't mention otherwise, we will assume that your BE is Jet or ACE because if the BE is SQL Server or some other RDBMS, the situation is slightly different.

If your mainform shows the autonumber (it doesn't have to), then as soon as you type a single character, it should populate with the next available number.

Your subform should never show the FK value although it might show its own autonumber PK but again, it doesn't have to. So, you almost never see the FK in the subform populate. If you want to see that happen temporarily, add a bound control that displays the FK (remove it later. showing it is just a waste of space since it is the same on ALL rows and is just confusing). Now when you type the first character in the subform, you will see BOTH the subform's autonumber and the FK populate. If you don't, then as June said, the problem is most likely that your master/child links are not correctly set.

And then we get to the situation where the subform is not a subform at all but is in fact a stand alone form because you open it separately. In this case, Access isn't going to be able to set the FK for you automatically, you will need to set it yourself. The simplest method is in the main form, the line BEFORE the OpenForm should SAVE the main form record. If you don't save it, then there is no record yet and so your insert in the pop up form will fail. Then using the OpenArgs parameter of the OpenForm method, pass in the autonumber. THEN in the BeforeInsert event of the popup form, populate the FK from the value in the OpenArgs.

Me.MyFK = Me.OpenArgs

Using that method allows you to add multiple records using the popup form and always use the correct FK value for each new record.

Just FYI, the reason that the situation changes when the BE is SQL Server is because the autonumber does NOT get generated until Access actually saves the record so you never see it fill in unless you have a save button that doesn't close the form but lets you stay right there or if you have a subform, the act of moving from the mainform to the subform will always save the dirty mainform and then you will see the autonumber populate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom