After Insert Macro Triggered by an Append Query to Update a Linked Table (1 Viewer)

M_S_Jones

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:11
Hi All,

I'm trying to update a value in an SQL Server linked table on insert of a value into an Access table in my linked back end. I've setup an after insert macro on my Access back end table which calls a function to update the linked SQL Server table using DoCmd.RunSQL.

This works absolutely fine as long as I type or paste the value into my Access table. If I try to append the value using an append query in Access I get the run-time error message 2486: "You can't carry out this action at the present time" and the DoCmd.RunSQL line is highlighted.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Matthew

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Try using Currentdb.Execute YourSqlQuery, dbSeeChanges instead.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Check whether there are other fields in the SQL table which are REQUIRED values. If so ensure that those fields are also populated by your append query

M_S_Jones

Registered User.
Local time
Wow, thanks for the quick reply Minty! That has resolved the issue, thank you. This is now working when I append a single record. If I append multiple it appears the after insert event is only triggered for the first record. Is there a way to handle this scenario, or is this a limitation of the trigger?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Not sure on Access Triggers to be honest, I have only ever used triggers on SQL server.
Maybe you can alter your sql query to update all records after the first inserted one?

M_S_Jones

Registered User.
Local time
Not sure on Access Triggers to be honest, I have only ever used triggers on SQL server.

Thanks. I'll mark this thread as complete, as you've solved my original problem.

Thanks again,

Matthew

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom