Anniversary of a significant moment (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:10
Today, November 22nd, is the anniversary of the assassination of President John F Kennedy. Many events in history shape a nation. This one shook our country into silence for several days. I was in high school biology class when the intercom came on. We listened in shock as Walter Cronkite announced that the president was dead, killed by a sniper. It was one of those days that you can remember even 60 years after it happened. Just like the 9/11 attack, which I remember very well, or the Pearl Harbor attack that shook my parents' generation, there are those moments that rivet your attention and that cause folks to look back with awe or reverence or more somber emotions.

We also have moments such as Man's first landing on the moon. We have the incredible photos first taken from Hubble and later from the Webb telescope. We have the "miracle on ice" from the 1980 Olympic games, or the Torvill/Dean Olympic Ice Dancing perfect score performance from that era. We have the more recent "Miracle on the Hudson" where Chesley Sullenberger landed a plane in the Hudson river with no loss of life and minimal injuries.

What significant events in YOUR nation's history do YOU recall when musing over your past?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 03:10
Thanks, the Doc man, for posting a good reminder whose date I didn't know about such an important thing.

For personal recollection, since I am only 43, I don't have a large list to choose from, except of course 9/11.

And Jan 6th - NOT because I personally would have instinctively felt that "just one more riot" (after thousands all year long) was anything special, but only because TV stations kept it going and going, like the Energizer Bunny, long after it no longer had much "oomph" to it - showing what influence they have over hyping or de-hyping stuff.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
1700701065086.png

And we know what happened next....

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
There is absolutley no emperical proof that JFK said that, or any of the other quotes fasley attributid to him..

...."the quote's origins appear to be an anonymous source in the New York Times in 1966, which credits it (without saying whether it is direct or indirect credit) to a high-level administration official. It's not entirely implausible."....

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
There is absolutley no emperical proof that JFK said that, or any of the other quotes fasley attributid to him..
I'm going to assume that was meant to be funny .... no, I am not the spelling police, but the irony is inescapable

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:10
What significant events in YOUR nation's history do YOU recall when musing over your past?
The dismissal of the elected federal government of Gough Whitlam by the Governor General. 11/11/1975.
I was in a biology class too, first class after lunch, when the teacher walked in and said, "They sacked Gough.".

Another was the night the Whitlam government was first elected in December 1972 after decades in power by the conservatives. Despite a concerted effort by the opposition to prevent them from being effective, some of our most important changes were achieved by that government. The first thing they did was end military conscription and get us out of the Vietnam War.

They brought in a mechanism to grant land rights to our first nations people. The image is absolutely iconic.

Gough Whitlam was the greatest Australian leader of all time.

jpl458

Local time
I'm going to assume that was meant to be funny .... no, I am not the spelling police, but the irony is inescapable
Here is the only reputipal thing I found. So it's not cast in stone. It's cast in oatmeal.

The only attribution we have is an anonymous source from the Kennedy administration by a New York Times reporter three years after Kennedy was assassinated. I’ve found no record that pre-dates 1966. It’s not exactly like he said it in a public speech or even to a reporter directly.

The Truman quote comes from a December 22, 1963 article by former president Harry Truman himself in the Washington Post, published just a month after JFK’s assassination and has been used as fodder for conspiracy theorists who think that the CIA killed Kennedy.

Kennedy was clearly frustrated with the CIA after the Bay of Pigs fiasco. But as far as verifying a quote is concerned, this one from JFK isn’t rock solid. For all we know, this anonymous official was using his own words (leaning on a common phrase, of course) to relay the emotion that Kennedy was trying to convey at the time.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
With few exceptions like Ronald Reagan presidents usually don't write their own speeches, they read them. All the famous quotes are written by speech writers, but then attributed to the President. I don't think Biden even reads anything prior to delivering his gibberish.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Here is the only reputipal thing I found. So it's not cast in stone. It's cast in oatmeal.

The only attribution we have is an anonymous source from the Kennedy administration by a New York Times reporter three years after Kennedy was assassinated. I’ve found no record that pre-dates 1966. It’s not exactly like he said it in a public speech or even to a reporter directly.

The Truman quote comes from a December 22, 1963 article by former president Harry Truman himself in the Washington Post, published just a month after JFK’s assassination and has been used as fodder for conspiracy theorists who think that the CIA killed Kennedy.

Kennedy was clearly frustrated with the CIA after the Bay of Pigs fiasco. But as far as verifying a quote is concerned, this one from JFK isn’t rock solid. For all we know, this anonymous official was using his own words (leaning on a common phrase, of course) to relay the emotion that Kennedy was trying to convey at the time.
Then again, 90% of what msnbc.com reports is anonymous sources, so..

Darrell

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:10
Today, November 22nd, is the anniversary of the assassination of President John F Kennedy.
Undoubtedly one of the lowest moments in your nation's history. I have many books on the topic and it is a tragic tale for both him and LHO, who of course quickly went on to be the first person in history to be murdered on live TV.

jpl458

Local time
I was plotting upper winds at he National Severe Weather Warning Center in Kansas City, when one of the plots had a tag "Kennedy Shot in Dallas". somehow we got a TV into the place and watched Walter Kronkite's annoumcement. Forever etched in my memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom