Append from Two Seperate Systems (1 Viewer)

MikeSr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:05
I have Access 2007 running the same app on two differant PC's. They both collect the same data. Occasionally, one of the internet connections goes down on one of the two PC's thus is looses data. ( Data is being logged from remote sites to the database.
I copy the data base from the first system to a neutral PC where I want to append the data from PC1 to the data file on PC2. Keeping in mind this is being done on niether PC1 or PC2.
I can't seem to get the missing data to append to the db with the missing data. I get a message when I try to append "Cannot open database". It may not be a database that your application reconizes, or the file may be corrupt.
I can open the imported database file on both sides. so I don't think it is corrupt, and the database's are identical.

Sure could use some advice.

Kind Regards.

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Today, 16:05
Mike,

I am not to clear on a couple of things:

Can you explaing a little bit more of just how you are attempting to use the two databases? If each PC has its own file, just where are you attempting to merge the data from the two databases? How does an internet connection play in this?

Please be a little more specific and describe the entire process.

MikeSr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:05
Sure, I am logging analog data from a PLC (programmable logic controler) that is located in another state. I do this by using a software application called KepServer EX. It then places the data in my defined Access 2007 data base.
Since I have to use a VPN connection, it disconnects at the Access PC on occasion. So I have elected to use two PC's running the same Access 2007 application that I have put together. Thus if one connection on the first PC goes down, the second PC is usually still up and recording the data.
Each PC on the recording end of thing, has it own access 2007 database, so they are both collecting the same data at the same time.
I have had gaps in my data collection mostly on the first PC. I need to get the missing data from the second PC and append it to the first PC's data base.
The data in the tables is date time stamped for each record, So finding the missing data shouldn't be a problem.
I have copied that data base to a third PC, where I can do the work of appending the data not to disturb the recording PC's.
I import one table from PC 2 into the data base of PC1. I give it a differant name. I try an append query from the two tables but it always generates the message in my first post.
Oh, and the database is split so it is a back end database.

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Today, 16:05
The first question i'd have is, have you defined your path to the database files as a "Trusted Location"? This could cause that type of problem.

I am assuming that you are able to open the backend file on each of the PC on which it is located. It appears that it is only when you move the file to another machine that you are having the problem. If it is not the "Trusted Location" issue, then I am not quite sure why it would not work.

Have you had anyone else attempt to open the backend file?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom