Are Linked Tables Faster? (1 Viewer)

honda882000

Registered User.
Local time
, 22:35
Good afternoon,

I won't go into details, but I have an access database which imports tables from another access database, does some stuff (VBA), and exports the data to Excel. Before today, I used to use TranferDatabase acImport, and the process used to take about a hour. I changed this to TranferDatabase acLink, and all of a sudden it only takes 15 minutes! Does anyone know why this would be? The process of importing all the tables only takes about a minute. I mean that the queries are actually running much faster. I know it is definitely not related to table indexes since the linked table also has no indexes.

Thanks in advance.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:35
That is certainly an interesting observation. Intuitively most would have expected the reverse to be true.

Someone with a deep knowledge of Access architecture might have a good answer but failing that I would hazard a guess.

Maybe the linked tables are opening in a second instance of Access that is running hidden and this is doing some of the work. On a PC with dual CPUs they could make use of both processors by having one instance on each.

marianne

Registered User.
Local time
, 19:35
well, its maybe that importing takes all the objects into your database including the records therein whereas linking doesn't do that but instead simply relating one table to another table from another db. :eek:

Poppa Smurf

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:35
Is there any reason why you do not just link your tables to the source databases and you would not have to use the TransferDatabase?

honda882000

Registered User.
Local time
, 22:35
Sorry to waste everyone's time. I am actually starting to think it was network traffic related. The databases are stored in a network folder for the company I work for. This morning, all of a sudden it appears to take the same amount of time as before... :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom