Are you an atheist? (3 Viewers)

Are you an atheist?

• Total voters

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 07:52
I clicked Atheist but if god appeared I would change my mind. As has already been said I have seen no convincing evidence that there is a god and I have seen a lot throughout life to convince me ot the truth of the statement that without religion good people do good things and bad people do bad things but with religion good people can do terrible things.

I have read "The God Delusion" and also "God is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens which I personally think is a better book.
Blade, I refer you to my first post on this thread quoted above. "The God Delusion" is by Richard Dawkins. Hope this helps

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:52
Blade, I refer you to my first post on this thread quoted above. "The God Delusion" is by Richard Dawkins. Hope this helps

I expect Blade is looking for a book where God and an atheist debate the subject and God wins the argument.

I have no doubt that such books exist but they would rely on arguments that only make sense to a theist because they lack the capacity to think critically. Such perspectives are essential for faith to take hold.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
I expect Blade is looking for a book where God and an atheist debate the subject and God wins the argument.

I have no doubt that such books exist but they would rely on arguments that only make sense to a theist because they lack the capacity to think critically. Such perspectives are essential for faith to take hold.

So anyone with faith lacks the ability to think critically?

At the risk of irony - can you see any problems with that?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 02:52
So anyone with faith lacks the ability to think critically?

At the risk of irony - can you see any problems with that?

As accepting the existence of God a priori requires precisely that lack, he's right. At the very least, the devout either lack or suppress the ability to think critically when it comes to their own beliefs.

Jesus saved me from that accident, not my thousands of hours of driving experience!
God saved me from that <insert injury or disease here>, not the doctors and their hard work!
God saved me from that fire, not my smoke alarm!
Jesus manifested as a blotch on my pancakes!
God gave me that promotion at work, not my hard work and dedication!
This two thousand year old book is literal truth because it says it is, and it wouldn't lie!
Hell, several months back, in this very thread, we had "1200 AD was 3000 years ago!!!".

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
As accepting the existence of God a priori requires precisely that lack, he's right. At the very least, the devout either lack or suppress the ability to think critically when it comes to their own beliefs.

Jesus saved me from that accident, not my thousands of hours of driving experience!
God saved me from that <insert injury or disease here>, not the doctors and their hard work!
God saved me from that fire, not my smoke alarm!
Jesus manifested as a blotch on my pancakes!
God gave me that promotion at work, not my hard work and dedication!
This two thousand year old book is literal truth because it says it is, and it wouldn't lie!
Hell, several months back, in this very thread, we had "1200 AD was 3000 years ago!!!".

I'm not sure you displaying critical thinking there either - just plucking out examples that support your view.

Pots and kettles! Funny though.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
I'm not sure you displaying critical thinking there either - just plucking out examples that support your view.

Then please enlighten us poor, benighted souls, and provide proof of a scientifically verifiable divine intervention. That's all that has ever been asked of the faithful, and not once has said proof been provided.

thechazm

VBA, VB.net, C#, Java
Local time
ROFL! This has to be the oldest active thread there is out there haha :D

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Yesterday, 23:52
Then please enlighten us poor, benighted souls, and provide proof of a scientifically verifiable divine intervention. That's all that has ever been asked of the faithful, and not once has said proof been provided.

Easy, Frothingslosh. It says so right there in the Bible.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time

Provide some examples where a theist thinks critically and still comes up with the notion that God exists and I will show you where they failed.

Then show me an example where an atheist is failing to think critically.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Whoa! I simply ask for a name of a book that leads to the conclusion so many of you on this thread have. Hello Galaxiom, it has been a while. My main reason for wanting the book was that I did not know enough about the alternatives that lead to Atheism. I think that Rabbi has the name of the book I am looking for but can't be sure until I see its cover. I don't remember the title but I do rem. the book cover.

AS far as the arguments between God and Atheism, is it not enough for us to argue about it. While there may be books out there that argue this concept, I am not interested in them. Will get the book and form my own conclusions. Thanks to all of you'll for your concern that I might not be smart enough to comprehend a subject so close to your heart.

Have a good day. Give me a day or two to read it, Am in the middle of rebuilding a tractor, dozer and backhoe. Got to get the ready in the next three weeks. Spring is almost here.

Is this fair enough for you on the thread?

Blade

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
OH! here is a little fodder for your thought!

I recently heard of an atheist dying only to come back into this world through the efforts of our medical professionals.

In direct conflict with the usual 'return from the dead' reports, he told reporters that he saw nothing but black. No light, no nothing.

I will have to agree with him in that there was no light , that is for an atheist. That light is only reserved for those who believe. Someone once argued on this thread that after we died there was nothing, we just become nothing. You were also partially right in that I am sure you were speaking for everybody and not just the Atheist.

Blade

CarolThompson

Local time
Yes, I am an atheist. I had written quite a lengthy reply on why I was an atheist but unfortunately the system logged me out because I took too long. I lost everything!

I started losing my belief in God when I studied Scripture and read the Old Testament with incredulity at this childish, vengeful God. I can't bring myself to believe that there is a God who is all goodness who could allow such terrible ill-treatment and murder of 6000 innocent men, women and children. Why did God not intervene? The answer is he couldn't, because he doesn't exist, so we can't blame something which doesn't exist. It is only good people who can intervene and help others and you don't have to be religious to be a good person.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes, I am an atheist. I had written quite a lengthy reply on why I was an atheist but unfortunately the system logged me out because I took too long. I lost everything
Welcome to the site Carol. There is a "Keep Me Logged In" checkbox on the login screen that avoids the problem of time out. This sets a cookie. God not only fails to stop atrocities but is actually the inspiration for many. Unfortunately God does exist in the minds of some and that is all it takes. One of the greatest myths pertaining to the Abrahamic religions is that bad people twist the good message. Fact is that the message is bad and the so called moderates simply pretend that it isn't.

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I am an atheist. I had written quite a lengthy reply on why I was an atheist but unfortunately the system logged me out because I took too long. I lost everything!

I started losing my belief in God when I studied Scripture and read the Old Testament with incredulity at this childish, vengeful God. I can't bring myself to believe that there is a God who is all goodness who could allow such terrible ill-treatment and murder of 6000 innocent men, women and children. Why did God not intervene? The answer is he couldn't, because he doesn't exist, so we can't blame something which doesn't exist. It is only good people who can intervene and help others and you don't have to be religious to be a good person.

Hello Carol Thompson

6000 innocent people????????Which ones are you talking about. What about the 6000000that he let die?

One tip on the writing of articles. Do them on a word processor then transfer them here. You will not time out that way!

Blade

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Provide some examples where a theist thinks critically and still comes up with the notion that God exists and I will show you where they failed.

Then show me an example where an atheist is failing to think critically.
Critically is the 'key' word here but I am not sure why? I have yet to hear where atheist think critically and come up with the notion that there is no GOD!

Blade

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Sitting drinking coffee and looking at the rain I decided to take a punt on the joke thread and came across the joke below from 2005, I thought Dick and Blade might enjoy it.

Brian

In an airplane a man was sitting next to a woman reading her Bible.
The man started a conversation.
Man : “Do you believe in the Bible?”
Woman : “Yes, I do.”
Man : “Do you believe the story of the man swallowed by a whale and later he was deposited on land to continue his journey.”
Woman : “Yes, I do.”
Man : “How can that be true?”
Woman : “I do not fully understand it now. I will ask him when I get to heaven.”
Man : “What if he is not in heaven?”
Woman : “Then you could ask him.”

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Critically is the 'key' word here but I am not sure why? I have yet to hear where atheist think critically and come up with the notion that there is no GOD!

Blade

We have been here before. How do you prove the non existence of something?
The onus is on the believers to prove the existence. Obviously the answer is no one knows thus the only logical position is agnostic.
My argument / disbelieve is with religion not whether God exists as I don't know.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom