Best design option? (1 Viewer)

SueBK

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:46
I have 13 environmental elements (flora, fauna, water etc). The user assesses if the risk for each one for a project is high, medium, low (easy table - project, element, description of risk, risk level).

A second report then has about 2 pages of management strategies (standard text; no customisation) for each environmental element. If the element is assessed as either high or medium it is included; low risk elements are dropped off the report.

I wondering do I:
- Set up a second table with all the strategy gumpf; query with my risk assessment table to filter out low risk; then format the report with text boxes
- Given that the only user input required to produce the report is the risk assessment; do I avoid creating a table and just put all the text straight into a report, using 'visible if' or something to remove low risk issues
- ??

I'm leaning towards the table option, to allow easy updating of the information should it change in the future. But given the lousy formating abilities of Access, I'm also kinda leaning towards the report option.

I've attached a PDF of one of page of the original report, so you can see the volume and nature of text I'm dealing with.

Attachments

• sample page from EMP.pdf
    36.2 KB · Views: 92

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:46
Do you have tables and relationships set up?
I'd get that done and tested before dealing with reports.

DavidAtWork

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:46
I think you'd be better to go with a second table for the strategies as it looks as if an element can have 1 or more strategies.
From your attached doc, the strategy table will include fields for:
Actions, MonitoringReporting, Timing, Responsibility plus of course a FK to link to Element.
It also looks as if you might need an Impacts table as well for same reasons above
In terms of the report output, if the low risk elements do not have any strategy data published, you may need to use a query that collects all the elements and strategies for the non low-risk elements, appends them to a temp table and then adds the low risk elements. You can then base your final output report on the temp table
David

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom