Best way for sorting text field as numeric? (2 Viewers)

Garindan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:02
Does anyone have an idea? Is it 'acceptable' to sort by Val?

yhgtbfk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:02
Personally, I would create a field called number, and have it hidden in the report. (Can you sort by a hidden field?)

Number Name
1.1 1a
1.2 1b
10 10
15 15
111 111

etc....

You can then sort the report by number, and simply make it an invisible field on the report

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Hi
Packing took less time than expected so popped on from home, can't test anything but in your query qbe create 2 fields numval:Val([House/FlatNumber]) and textval:IIf(Val([House/FlatNumber])=0,1,Nz(Len(Val([House/FlatNumber]))+1,1)) and sort on those.

If all else fails post a new question in reports outlining your problem and asking what can change the order output from a query at the report stage.

Brian

Last edited:
R

Rich

The Order by property for a query has no bearing on a Report, you have to use the Reports sorting/grouping options

Garindan

Registered User.
Local time
Ok i think we're getting there now.

I've simply added a field to the query of:-
House/FlatNumber_Sort: Val([House/FlatNumber])

And then in the report sorted by that field. Is it as simple as that? Do i need to use the other expression???:-

textval:IIf(Val([House/FlatNumber])=0,1,Nz(Len(Val([House/FlatNumber]))+1,1))

because all none number entries are returned as 0, and so appear at the top of the sort anyway. Is the other expression needed? Could someone explain what it does?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
The textval expression causes the house names to be sorted alphabetically also that such numbers as say 11a 11b etc will be in the correct order.
I also believe that whilst the order/grouping in the report would take precedence if it existed, if you have none then the orderby clause of the query must give the order of the report, I do not understand why it did notr work for you and without access to your database I cannot guess why.
Brian

DALeffler

Registered Perpetrator
Local time
Today, 14:02
Why not just:

SELECT Temp2.Field1
FROM Temp2
ORDER BY Val([Field1]), Temp2.Field1;

Garindan

Registered User.
Local time
Well the Val expression works fine, and all numbers are sorted properly in the report now, but only if its just numbers :( .

However, the textval: expression doesn't seem to work properly. Not just in the report, but in genereal, and when tested in the query. If i have for example flat numbers 1a, 1b and 1c, the Val expression returns them all as 1, as it should be, but the textval: expression returns them all as 2, so they are not sorted. Not only that but it seems the customer entries for flat 1a and 1b, etc will not show up in the report, and their orders are all listed with flat 1c's :confused:

Anyone know whats going on?

DALeffler

Registered Perpetrator
Local time
Today, 14:02
...but the textval: expression returns them all as 2, so they are not sorted.

Looking back over the posts, I think you're missing a function call in the query. txtVal shoulld be:

Mid([House/FlatNumber],IIf(Val([House/FlatNumber])=0,1,Nz(Len(Val([House/FlatNumber]))+1,1)))

and not:

IIf(Val([House/FlatNumber])=0,1,Nz(Len(Val([House/FlatNumber]))+1,1))

That's why txtval is returning a 2. Without the Mid function, the Iif is going to return a number.

But I can see no reason to have this complicated (although exquisite) Where clause in the query. As far as I can tell,

SELECT qselCustomerAreaSearch.Title, qselCustomerAreaSearch.[FirstName/Initial], qselCustomerAreaSearch.Surname, qselCustomerAreaSearch.[House/FlatNumber], qselCustomerAreaSearch.Street, qselCustomerAreaSearch.Area, qselCustomerAreaSearch.Area2, qselCustomerAreaSearch.[Town/City], qselCustomerAreaSearch.County, qselCustomerAreaSearch.PostCode, qselCustomerAreaSearch.HomePhoneNumber, qselCustomerAreaSearch.Mobile_WorkNumber, qselCustomerPurchases.DateOfPurchase, qselCustomerPurchases.Season, qselCustomerPurchases.TotalCost, tblCustomerPurchasedItems.Product, tblCustomerPurchasedItems.Quantity, qselCustomerAreaSearch.CustomerNumber, qselCustomerPurchases.PurchaseNumber
FROM (qselCustomerAreaSearch INNER JOIN qselCustomerPurchases ON qselCustomerAreaSearch.CustomerNumber = qselCustomerPurchases.CustomerNumber) INNER JOIN tblCustomerPurchasedItems ON qselCustomerPurchases.PurchaseNumber = tblCustomerPurchasedItems.PurchaseNumber
ORDER BY Val([House/FlatNumber]), Mid([House/FlatNumber],IIf(Val([House/FlatNumber])=0,1,Nz(Len(Val([House/FlatNumber]))+1,1)));

produces the exact same ordered record set as:

SELECT qselCustomerAreaSearch.Title, qselCustomerAreaSearch.[FirstName/Initial], qselCustomerAreaSearch.Surname, qselCustomerAreaSearch.[House/FlatNumber], qselCustomerAreaSearch.Street, qselCustomerAreaSearch.Area, qselCustomerAreaSearch.Area2, qselCustomerAreaSearch.[Town/City], qselCustomerAreaSearch.County, qselCustomerAreaSearch.PostCode, qselCustomerAreaSearch.HomePhoneNumber, qselCustomerAreaSearch.Mobile_WorkNumber, qselCustomerPurchases.DateOfPurchase, qselCustomerPurchases.Season, qselCustomerPurchases.TotalCost, tblCustomerPurchasedItems.Product, tblCustomerPurchasedItems.Quantity, qselCustomerAreaSearch.CustomerNumber, qselCustomerPurchases.PurchaseNumber
FROM (qselCustomerAreaSearch INNER JOIN qselCustomerPurchases ON qselCustomerAreaSearch.CustomerNumber = qselCustomerPurchases.CustomerNumber) INNER JOIN tblCustomerPurchasedItems ON qselCustomerPurchases.PurchaseNumber = tblCustomerPurchasedItems.PurchaseNumber
ORDER BY Val([House/FlatNumber]), qselCustomerAreaSearch.[House/FlatNumber];

Make two new querys, one for each sql, and compare them side by side.

hth,

Garindan

Registered User.
Local time
DALeffler said:
Looking back over the posts, I think you're missing a function call in the query. txtVal shoulld be:

Mid([House/FlatNumber],IIf(Val([House/FlatNumber])=0,1,Nz(Len(Val([House/FlatNumber]))+1,1)))

Yeah thats right :eek: It was in there earlier and i've missed it out at some point. Thanks! Doh!

However, i have a new problem now...... Whilst the expressions work properly, and in a query will have the correct results.....in a report i cannot sort by the Val: expression then by the textval: expression as the report sorts val first (obviously) so 1a 1b and 1c all come back as 1, then that causes them to sort all of the 1's together as one entry :( Only 1 name and address will be produced in the report with ALL the records of 1a, 1b and 1c :(

Can i just use one expression to sort by? Would that not work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom