calculate minimum value based on table (1 Viewer)

connected

connected
Local time
Today, 14:24
Hello,

I have this table where values are stored say about 10, and a another form which a text 'min value need' search the table with the stores values and identifies the lowest values and palce in the tetx in the form, how can this be done, i tried the dmin it doesnt work

thanks in advance

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Since DMin is probably the simplest way to get the lowest value from the table, perhaps you can show us what you tried so we can fix it, or tell us why DMin doesn't work in your situation so we can suggest an alternative.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Also, when you say "value" what datatype are the "values" stored as in the table?

connected

connected
Local time
Also, when you say "value" what datatype are the "values" stored as in the table?

hi, it stored as Currency, and the dmin is used by creating a form by the query, and right clicking the text box and type ing code in expression builder

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
What is the code you came up with for the DMIN? There is some specific things you have to do to use it correctly:

=DMin("[YourFieldNameHere]","YourTableOrQueryNameHere")

Or if you are limiting by criteria:

=DMin("[YourFieldNameHere]","YourTableOrQueryNameHere", "[YourFieldToLimitBy]=XXXX")

Or if limiting by a control on the form:

=DMin("[YourFieldNameHere]","YourTableOrQueryNameHere", "[YourFieldToLimitBy]=" & [YourFieldNameOnForm])

Or if text
=DMin("[YourFieldNameHere]","YourTableOrQueryNameHere", "[YourFieldToLimitBy]='" & [YourFieldNameOnForm] & "'")

connected

connected
Local time
What is the code you came up with for the DMIN? There is some specific things you have to do to use it correctly:

=DMin("[YourFieldNameHere]","YourTableOrQueryNameHere")

Or if you are limiting by criteria:

=DMin("[YourFieldNameHere]","YourTableOrQueryNameHere", "[YourFieldToLimitBy]=XXXX")

Or if limiting by a control on the form:

=DMin("[YourFieldNameHere]","YourTableOrQueryNameHere", "[YourFieldToLimitBy]=" & [YourFieldNameOnForm])

Or if text
=DMin("[YourFieldNameHere]","YourTableOrQueryNameHere", "[YourFieldToLimitBy]='" & [YourFieldNameOnForm] & "'")

Hi, ok so in the form in a textbox, in the expression builder for it, the code is =DMin("[bid amount]","top winning bid")

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
And what isn't working? Are you getting a #Name error in it?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Okay that was quick and easy.

Your problem is that you put the DMin on the Before Update event and not in the CONTROL SOURCE (on the Data or ALL tabs).

connected

connected
Local time
Okay that was quick and easy.

Your problem is that you put the DMin on the Before Update event and not in the CONTROL SOURCE (on the Data or ALL tabs).
thanks it working perfectly, umm a question if i want to create a login form where the username and password are checked against the table, how can i do this using dlookup, so far i have =DLookUp("[password]","bidders","bidders"=[bidders]), i think the ending is incorrect "=[bidders])"

thanks in advance

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
In code it would be:

If Me.txtPassword = DLookUp("[password]","bidders","bidder='" & Me.YourLoginFormTextBoxForBidderName & "'") Then

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
That is, assuming the field name for storing the bidder name is bidder

connected

connected
Local time
In code it would be:

If Me.txtPassword = DLookUp("[password]","bidders","bidder='" & Me.YourLoginFormTextBoxForBidderName & "'") Then

this looks by a vb code?, i want input the code by the expression builder, anyways i try this and let u know

thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom