Can't enable trusted location for IP Address Network Share anymore (NOT INTERNET) (1 Viewer)

SuperShin

Local time
Today, 16:05
I have been an access developer for a very long time, I have a back end database on a QNAP file server 192.168.1.10.

I have always connected to that back end using some VBA code with local machines on a FLAT VLAN 192.168.1.0.

So imagine my annoyance when i go to connect to that database at an event and I get a complaint when relinking my tables that I can't connect to the database because my network share is not in a trusted location.... I have always added 192.168.1.10 (or whatever the currentproject.path is) to the truted locations via a registry entry in the software. This only happens on machines that have full O365 installs nothing that uses the runtime libraries (I assume because they have updates turned off)

I fully get the internet block but is this an update that has broken intranet too? I opened trusted locations and indeed my \\192.168.1.10 is in there but it greyed out as being disabled, and nothing I do can re-enable it. So as a ridiculous work around I'm referring to the QNAP as its network host name \\QNAPServer\Backend.accddb

So that works on some machines of full O365 and on others I ended up modifying the hosts file to put in a static DNS entry for QNAPServer 192.168.1.10.

This is beyond frustrating, Im not sure if a windows update has broken something or what? Is there a better work around? Why doesn't my registry entry of the trusted location work anymore because even if i use the access interface of the Trust center I can't add this intranet location.

Its so frustrating because this is so simple and the interface seems to support it still yet but i can't do it. Ive included some screenshots as well.

David

Last edited:

Ranman256

Local time
you STILL must add that person's IP to the INTERNET OPTIONS, security tab, trusted sites.
even tho youre not using internet, this allows you to use access on that pc.

SuperShin

Local time
Ok I'll poke around on a registry edit to automate this, but that totally changed in the last few months, Thank you very much

David

SuperShin

Local time
So I added an ip via INTERNET OPTIONS to see what it added in the registry interface so I can emulate it.

[CREATED BY INTERNET OPTIONS INTERFACE]
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges\Range1
:Range REG_SZ 192.168.1.10
file REG_DWORD 2

So I made some code that added a new Range550 to avoid any user ranges

[CREATED BY MY SOFTWARE DYNAMICALLY BASED ON IP PATH OF DB BACKEND]
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Ranges\Range550
:Range REG_SZ 10.10.10.50
file REG_DWORD 2

I then try to reconnect my backend to 10.10.10.50 and still get the same error message about untrusted location.

What am I missing? To be clear I used to be able to add ip addresses to trusted locations in Acccess for years, but now they are all greyed out and i can't even add one manually, I use a flat VLAN so i dont have an active directory or reliable DNS server, I just want to have the most basic setup possible, deploy a QNAP network share, put my backend on it and connect via IP not Hostname

Attachments

• trustedFileLocations.png
    trustedFileLocations.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

SuperShin

Local time
More information on the new Microsoft "FEATURE"

Is there no way to hack the registery to allow this vs using a hostname, ip works all the time hostname only works sometimes for some machines.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom