Changed SamAccountName (downlevelname) (1 Viewer)

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:13
OK, we have account were ages ago they were using one nameing convention, and changed to another. recently they brought the SamAccountName in line with the UPN (Active directory lingo here). BUT in Sql Server their old SamAccountName was used for access. So as an example:
Domain\OldSamAccount is the account in SQL, which in AD has been changed to NewSamAccount. Security seems to work still with a few exceptions (jobs accessing file system across servers mostly). BUT if I try to add the new SamAccountName, it says it can't find it. The old one still seems tied somehow, but I have been reluctant to remove them due their owning things in the Sql Server.
So where do I go from here?

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 06:13
Hi,

A few things spring to mind,

1. when was this server last rebooted? or service restarted?
2. is this new AD account on the same domain?
3. Are you sure the account name is right? (I know this stands to reason but sometimes it's always worth checking)
4. Are both accounts in the same AD tree?

In terms of the old account owning objects, just change the owner of the objects

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:13
Service on the SQL Servers have NOT been restarted since the change.
They are the same account (UPN remains unchanged), just the SamAccountName changed to match the UPN (field update basically in AD).
Yes the account name is right (Mine is one of them).
Not two separate accounts, same account, only the SamAccountName changed which is how my computer knows me once I log in.
SO basically I login using my UPN (but you can login using DOMAIN\SamAccountName also, they are just trying to get everyone using UPN instead) and then the network services attach you SamAccountName basically. Where before the change it attached OldSamAccount, it is now using NewSamAccount instead. But it is the same account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom