Changing a Quote Form into an Invoice Form (1 Viewer)

Starnheavn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:23
I created a database that includes my tables for Customer, Quote, Quote Detail, Product, Rep, and States and forms for looks up of customer, products, etc. Ive included a Form for Quote and its Quote detail (which is the subform). Where I am getting stuck at is: say the client decides to accept the quote...how can I make the quote become an invoice? The quote will have it's own number for example 3076 but when it becomes an invoice it will have a number of 586SUN-1778-12 (of course the Quote number and invoice numbers should be populated so the next record would be 3077 /586SUN-1779-12etc.) Thanks for your help.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
What happens when a quote becomes an invoice? Don't give me database jargon, tell me in plain english. Does everything in the quote get done? Or can the customer choose only a few items? Is there any difference in the two besides the invoice gets an invoice number? Is there data a quote has that an invoice doesn't and Vice versa?

As for your invoice number system--what if 3077 doesn't become an invoice but 3078 does--what number would 3078 get as an invoice? 586SUN-1779-12 or is that one specifically reserved for 3077? Also, what does it mean--it looks like you are cramming a couple pieces of information in that number.

Starnheavn

Registered User.
Local time
Everything in the qoute will be in the invoice. So if Mr. X accepts the quote with the 5products on the quote then it will need to become an invoice. Nothing changes except that it will no longer have a quote number it will need an invoice number. If the quote doesn't get accepted, it needs to stay in the system so we can refer back to it later. Is this possible to do this or do I create 2 different forms and then have a control button or something that will jump to the invoice from a quote?

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 08:23
I have a system with similar aspects.

I have an order, that can start its life as a quote (with same number as the OrderNumber) then the quote can become an order (a flag is set). Some items can still be added or marked as not applicable (and then the original quote is no longer available), because of eg shortages of some items. If order is executed, it becomes an Invoice (gets an Invoice number) and data can no longer be modified.

Whether this is suitable or not depends on the issues mentioned by plog.

Starnheavn

Registered User.
Local time
Well mine is very similar except no order number is given BUT the Customer P.O. number is placed on the quote (this number is just entered as text and is not autonumbered) although the quote is given a quote number (i.e. 3077). The quote can be changed but once it becomes an invoice it cannot be changed. Thanks Spike.

I just need to know if it is possible and if so what steps are involved in creating this. Ive never done that before. Thanks everyone.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
It sounds like all you need to do is to create fields for an invoice number in your table. If those fields are populated, then the quote is an invoice.

Notice, I said fields. This is because you still have that issue of your invoice number containing multiple pieces of data. For each discrete piece of data in your invoice number you will need a field to contain it.

Starnheavn

Registered User.
Local time
Ok, so you're saying to create a field for my Quote Number? I've done that already. And I've created a field for the Invoice Number, but how do I get the form to change from Quote to Invoice? Someone mentioned a flag or code, and if that is it what is the code or how do I create a flag? and if it is a code is it a module in VB I create?

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 08:23
"Someone" mentioned a flag, because that fitted someone's circumstances. When in doubt, don't panic but think!

You need to mark that a quote is no longer a quote but an invoice, so the software and the users know it. What is the difference between a quote and an invoice? How does this difference turn up in the database? This is not a trick question.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
The presence of an invoice number is all the flag you need. If it has one its an invoice, otherwise its a quote. You mark the quote as an invoice by giving it an invoice number.

Also, your invoice number is screwy, its going to take more than 1 field to hold the data that comprises your invoice number.

VilaRestal

';drop database master;--
Local time
Today, 07:23
Also, your invoice number is screwy, its going to take more than 1 field to hold the data that comprises your invoice number.

Unless that is, if I may interject, some of it is calculable, in which case you wouldn't store the calculated bits: perhaps some of it is derived from the date it was made into an invoice (now that's a field you probably want to add anyway) a prefix based on the customer's name, or whatever.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the other thing is, in most systems a quote and an invoice are different things.

yes, there may be a one-to-one correspondence between the two, but often a quote and an invoice are not quite the same things.

VilaRestal

';drop database master;--
Local time
Indeed but it does sound like in this case a single table would be a simple solution.

In many cases they're stored in separate tables for security reasons - to lock down invoices at a table level in a way quotes don't need to be. In this case I expect that's not an issue or one that can be adequately dealt with at a form level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom